Building a Server PC for Arma 3

willrmcqueen

Commendable
May 4, 2016
First off before I begin, thank you for trying to come to my rescue. I usually do not get a lot of attention in my threads. So, let's begin.

Recently me and my friend wanted to open an Arma 3 Exile server. While we went through a 3rd party and had some friends try to help us out and guide us though, we ultimately failed. We got our refund, we walked away. However, after that I remembered we used to know some server owners who owned some builds that they used to host their own servers. Since I like tinkering with computers and just doing builds in general, I thought of the idea of also doing this myself. (And we wouldn't have to deal with any stupid help tickets or HR people, we can learn how to do at our own pace. And we don't have to pay monthly.)

So my question is "What is required to build a server PC that I will use to host a server on Arma 3, as I am not sure what hardware is required? Is my internet fast enough to host a server in the first place?"

My internet speed is about 100 megabits down, and about 20 megabits up.

Truthfully, if this idea is out of my league, than I won't pursue it. I don't know how to work any software that correlates with running a server (Like Filezilla) but if this is realistic than I am up for learning. The whole point of this is to have fun and really learn from all of it.

I am willing to spend a little bit if I have to. Maybe even get some RGB up in the server case, too.

willrmcqueen

Commendable
May 4, 2016
Exactly what I expected from the Arma community. Most people can't decide on what hardware is best to focus on. (Terribly optimized game)

Thanks for the link though. I know Arma is a CPU hog in general, but I am just worried about how much storage ill need and if my internet speed is even fast enough to support a smaller server. I have never done a server build, or even owner a server at all.

I'll have to jump on some other threads and see if some others have a broader answers. I think I maybe asking too much of a specific question or whatever.