Constant (Not Responding) programs that won’t close

Dfrer

Honorable
May 12, 2015
Hi all,

Recently I’ve been having a problem where my computer works for about an hour or two after starting up, but after a while my programs that I have open (most commonly Chrome) start to hang, giving me the generic (Not Responding) window, however, I am not able to exit the window at all, using task manager or pressing x. This would not be such a big deal if it didn’t cause all my other programs to start crashing as well, again not allowing me to close them. When this happens it also seems to lock up windows explorer a little too, I am not able to turn off the computer when this happens as CtrlAltDlt takes me to a black screen with my mouse on it that I cannot leave forcing me to press the power button. If I try to turn of the pc by the normal power options in the menu I cannot as the menu simply does not open, I also can’t use the cmd shutdown /s as it does the same black screen. I have tried all I know to fix this and I am at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have included a video of what the crashed programs look like.
https://youtu.be/XtV7Di6ndVI

PC
-GTX 1080 Gaming X
-i7 5820k
-16 GB Crucial Ram
-ASUS X99 Deluxe
-SanDisk 240GB SSD
-WesternDigital 2TB HDD

Solution
I presume the OS is on the SSD. Make sure it is less than 90% full (this can cause all manner of problems), and, if you have the SanDisk software, run the diagnostics on it.

I don't know what you have on the WD HDD, but you might want to try to run the computer with this drive disconnected to see what happens.

In the end, if the problem persists, you will need to backup all your data, repartition/reformat the SSD, wipe/repartition/reformat the HDD, do a clean install of the OS, then a new, clean install of all of your applications. Bummer.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
I presume the OS is on the SSD. Make sure it is less than 90% full (this can cause all manner of problems), and, if you have the SanDisk software, run the diagnostics on it.

I don't know what you have on the WD HDD, but you might want to try to run the computer with this drive disconnected to see what happens.

In the end, if the problem persists, you will need to backup all your data, repartition/reformat the SSD, wipe/repartition/reformat the HDD, do a clean install of the OS, then a new, clean install of all of your applications. Bummer.

Solution