Windows 10 is slower to restart then from shutdown and fresh boot (SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantheman77

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Hi guys, recently noticed that my Windows 10 (64 bit) is much slower on restarting then on a fresh boot after a complete shut down. I am running my IOS on an SSD (Samsung 850). Difference is about one minute. Fresh boot after shutdown is about 20 seconds and restart is about one minute and a half.

Any ideas why this is??

Solution
It's pretty easy to turn on/off, you and just turn it off and see. If you turn it off in theory your cold boot time should become longer and take about the same amount of time as startup takes after a restart.

dekertek

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
It is called "fast startup" and is a setting found in the classic control panel power settings under "Choose what the power buttons do". With it enabled, shutdown becomes hibernation. That explains why "resuming" from shutdown is faster than a restart.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
+1 to what @ex_bubblehead said, although I am surprised there would be that much of a difference.

When you say it takes a minute and a half to restart, are you talking about both the shutdown and startup portions of restarting? Whereas you're only looking at the startup when you say it takes 20 seconds to start your PC after a complete shutdown?

Dantheman77

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Ok, so if I disable the “fast startup” will that make my restart fast again? Or will that make my fresh reboot after shutdown slow to about 1.5 minutes? With an ssd, no way it should take 1.5 minutes to restart

Dantheman77

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
TJ, for the minute and a half restart, I’m talking about a restart when PC is already in windows and just to restart after installing a new windows update or just hitting restart with no reason. For the 20 seconds, I’m taking about booting after a complete shutdown (power off and waiting about 10 seconds before pushing power button again)

If this makes sense?

Which is exactly what fastboot is designed to do.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, but it seems like you're comparing apples to oranges then. Your computer takes some amount of time to turn off, and some more time to turn on, regardless of whether you're restarting or doing a shutdown + power on. It sounds like you're counting both the turn off and turn on time for your restart time (1.5 minutes), but only counting the turn on time when looking at how long it takes to start up after a complete shutdown (20 seconds). So that would account for part of the difference, and the Fast Boot option probably accounts for the rest. Also, if you typically only restart when installing updates, that could make your restart time longer as well.

Dantheman77

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Ok, but with an ssd, shouldn’t boot up on both be around the same? Give it take 30 seconds? Also, for instance, I was just in windows and just decided to do a restart without installing anything new, took about 1.5 minutes.

Sorry, just trying to get some answers. Should I disable fast boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.