Vega 56 - To buy or not to buy?

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Hello everyone,

I've been planning to upgrade the GPU of my rig until Q2. As I have a Freesync capable monitor, I'd like to go AMD, but Nvidia wouldn't be completely out of question if it was massively better at price/performance.

I'm opting for 1070/Vega 56/1070 Ti. With the price development of the last months, it looks to me as if GPU prices will be rising further for several months to come, though that's just my thoughts.

Now I found an offer for a Vega 56 (best case, could use Freesync) for as "little" as 480€ including shipping. Should I go for it? Or should I bet on the mining bubble to pop in the near future? Would love to hear opinions for this.

Another option would be going dual Fury/Fury X, buying those used. I'm currently on a dual HD 7970 (aka R9 280X) setup and I'm happy with Crossfire mostly so it'd be an option. Problem is that Fury's aren't selling that low either, and I really don't want to pay more for 2 of these than for a single Vega 56...

Well, hoping for some thoughts and suggestions from you guys ;)

If you could get the deal then probably better just bite the bullet right now. There is no guarantee situation will get better anytime soon. Right now there are place even gtx1080ti sold almost twice the MSRP. About fury x try avoid those card. The performance can be inconsistent at 1080p and 1440p while at 4k it's 4GB of VRAM could be an issue. Btw how much you can get for 1070/1070ti?

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Cheapest 1070 I can find is 440€, cheapest 1070 Ti is 530€ (those are really pricey for whatever reason). Not sure if a 40€/45$ reduction is worth a bit less performance and no Freesync though...

Fury/fury X would only really be in my sight if I could get them for ~200€/240$ or less, but currently you pay ~280 to 350€ on average (used of course, making it even less attractive), and I agree that it isn't worth it for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for the response, rather in favour of buying it then for now :D