Windows 10 automatic repair loop

logic.c9cs

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Code:
When I first boot up my pc it says “preparing automatic repair” and then “diagnosing pc”

Eventually it gets to a screen saying my pc didn’t not start correctly and gives me “restart” and “advanced options”

However I cannot get any of the advanced options to work.

System restore- won’t work due to running out of disk space
Startup repair- “startup repair couldn’t repair your pc”
Go back to previous...- “we ran into a problem and won’t be able to go back”
Reset this pc (keep files) won’t work either

So is there anything I can do besides completely restarting my PC and losing my files? Thanks!

Solution
Reinstalling windows seems like the only option. There are ways to rescue your files if they're important. One way is to download an Ubuntu installer image and either burn it to a disk or create a flash drive with it. This won't be used to install since you'll choose the option "Try Ubuntu" rather than "Install Ubuntu," which will load the Ubuntu desktop off the files on the install medium without touching your HDD. Ubuntu has the ability to read Windows' NTFS filesystem so it can be used to copy your files to an external drive.

The other option is just to install Windows without formatting the HDD. Windows will install over the existing system, moving the old windows files to "Windows.old," and you'd still have to re-install...
Reinstalling windows seems like the only option. There are ways to rescue your files if they're important. One way is to download an Ubuntu installer image and either burn it to a disk or create a flash drive with it. This won't be used to install since you'll choose the option "Try Ubuntu" rather than "Install Ubuntu," which will load the Ubuntu desktop off the files on the install medium without touching your HDD. Ubuntu has the ability to read Windows' NTFS filesystem so it can be used to copy your files to an external drive.

The other option is just to install Windows without formatting the HDD. Windows will install over the existing system, moving the old windows files to "Windows.old," and you'd still have to re-install everything. You would find your files in C:\Windows.old\Users\youroldusername and would then have to move them into your new user account.

Solution

logic.c9cs

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

So how exactly would I got about reinstalling Windows without formatting. Just boot windows off a disc or usb and do a custom install from there?