BIOS to Windows taking up to 5 minutes to load? Runs fine when Windows does boot.

thedude300

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I've been having this odd problem. For the last few months when I restarted my computer I would get a message on the bios screen that it is repairing something in one of my hard drives. It usually went quickly and the number of times I restarted my computer I barely noticed.

A week ago I restart it and the computer went into Automatic Repair and brought me to a screen saying it could not be repaired. I restarted it again and it took 5 minutes to restart.

Now When I restart the ASUS BIOS screen just spins dots in a circle until windows finally boots which takes forever and then it runs perfectly fine.

Solution
Defragmenting your hard drive won't when its mechanicals are going south and that is what this pattern sounds like.

Windows will check any drive that it thinks is going sour on bootup - sometimes it will manage to relocate the bad sector and sometimes the sector is unreadable and cannot be repaired.

An increasing number of unreliable sectors means your hard disk is dying and it's time for a new one.

Mac

thedude300

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I tried to defrag with system defrag and defraggler. The one hard drive only used for gaming is the one with all that bad sectors that it fixes each time. Should I replace that drive it is pretty old even though it had no windows files in it?

ayoubiee

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018

you can try that can you say which ssd you have now

AndrewBC

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Defragmenting your hard drive won't when its mechanicals are going south and that is what this pattern sounds like.

Windows will check any drive that it thinks is going sour on bootup - sometimes it will manage to relocate the bad sector and sometimes the sector is unreadable and cannot be repaired.

An increasing number of unreliable sectors means your hard disk is dying and it's time for a new one.

Mac

Solution