Unable to boot because of "Bootmgr is missing"

casdebruin23

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hi,

So a few days ago my pc started acting weird, I ran a chkdsk and saw that it found around 10000 corrupted files. I formatted the drive and wanted to install windows, only to be surprised by the message "Bootmgr is missing". I tried installing with 2 usb's, 2 dvd's and after that didn't work I plugged the hdd into another pc and installed it from there. I thought that would definitely work, except I got the same message again after turning on my pc.

I have also reset my BIOS, and checked my hdd's smart data and if it has any bad sectors, which wasn't the case. I have also ran a memtest to see if my ram was causing the problem, but no errors were found. What is very weird though is that I'm getting the message either way. I tried booting with the usb plugged in and the hdd unplugged, and the same happened the other way.

Specs: MB: Asus sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8150 black edition
GPU: Asus GeForce gtx 1060 6G
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair vengeance
PSU: MS-Tech 750W

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Does the bios have secure boot? might need to turn it off. Same applies to fast boot, as that will ignore the USB/DVD and try to boot hdd. Might explain why you appear to be getting it on the USB as well.

Boot manager is on the motherboard, not HDD,... sort of, it relies on hdd to answer its call to boot so if hdd is going bad, it could be that the hdd that isn't answering in time. You will get it without a drive in PC as it can't find the boot manager if its not there. Hard to explain, its likely bios set to UEFI boot and if the files it is looking for on the hdd are corrupted, it won't find them.

one fix is to check your boot order and make sure its pointing at right drive. If there is a choice called Windows Boot Manager, try...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does the bios have secure boot? might need to turn it off. Same applies to fast boot, as that will ignore the USB/DVD and try to boot hdd. Might explain why you appear to be getting it on the USB as well.

Boot manager is on the motherboard, not HDD,... sort of, it relies on hdd to answer its call to boot so if hdd is going bad, it could be that the hdd that isn't answering in time. You will get it without a drive in PC as it can't find the boot manager if its not there. Hard to explain, its likely bios set to UEFI boot and if the files it is looking for on the hdd are corrupted, it won't find them.

one fix is to check your boot order and make sure its pointing at right drive. If there is a choice called Windows Boot Manager, try making that 1st as it should have the location of the boot files on your hdd (if formatted as GPT)

Motherboard manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.0/E7335_Sabertooth_990FX_R2.pdf

Solution