Monitor black light glow???

aaronjamespennell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
fAkorRp.jpg

So I had this problem before... I bought the Monitor through Amazon so I got it replaced ASAP with another brand new one and the problem is back again? The exact same problem I had on the monitor I returned.

Problem: There is a very clear glow(?) and it gets worse and worse from:
Bottom Left->Bottom Right & Top Right->Bottom Right

I also noticed the problem happens to be in the spot on the monitor thats the hottest(does feel quite hot to the touch, this is the side where the power is plugged in). It seems like maybe theres an overheating issue... I'm pretty sure the Monitor was perfect for a while and then it just decided to do this again??? I highly doubt they did but maybe the monitor just overheats and damages the panel....?

The monitor is the Benq XL2730 and seeing as I'm having the EXACT same problem I had hoped I'd have been able to find similar problems but I cant find a single person with the same issue? so not sure if I'm missing something but I seem to be the only person with the problem and it happened twice in a row. HELP!!?? q~q

Solution
unless there is an issue output wise (UPS) or something like a short on the wires, nothing power related will cause that, except a broken moni.
didnt see the pic before my first post, thats why i said adjust the settings, but this is clearly a case for return/rma.

one reason i stopped looking at benq screens is that asus offers identical panels on their monis, and they also tend to get better ratings, than the same unit from benq.

10bit amva+ panel, 60/75Hz, great and accurate color but not suffering IPS bleed, almost perfectly calibrated right out of box.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7TrcCJ/asus-pb277q-270-75hz-monitor-pb277q

if you really need the 144Hz
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fMcMnQ/asus-monitor-mg278q

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
"calibrate" the screen for correct brightness/contrast. lower backlight output if the option is there (moni settings).
start with 70-80% (of 100%) contrast, and lower brightness to around 50% (or lower) to see if that helps.

and turn off any energy-saving/enhancements the monitor offers (incl dynamic contrast).

aaronjamespennell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Just got the picture up. Check the bottom, the other glows dont matter. The extremely intense blue tinted glow on the bottom of the screen. the brightness didnt change the problem at all, it just made it harder to see because the whole screen was really hard to see even at the lowest brightness setting. I havent tried amping up the contrast though I doubt that would do anything

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
without changing contrast, its mute.
start there, then lower brightness.

but that looks more like an issue with the moni (per se) or rma,
as TN based screens dont usually show (IPS panel) glow.

An RMA (again) would probably be the best option. Some amount of bleed is unavoidable sometimes, depending on the monitor.
Mine has it, but I only notice it when the monitor goes to sleep (its pretty bad). Then I realized I cant actually see it when I game, watch videos, etc, even when the screen is black. So I accept it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na that's not acceptable, rma it. 3rd time lucky hopefully.

There is glow in ips but not blue like that. On pitch black screens it is easy to see a glowish reflection which should change as you move your view.

Phones can exaggerate the glow more, just the way the camera is.

XL2730 is a TN monitor
TN monitors should be free or not visible from backlight bleeding or IPS glow.
RMA it!

However, any kinds of bleed and the term "free" or "visible" are only for human eyes direct vision...not via camera (icl. phone camera) especially with longer exposure settings.
The longer the exposure, the more visible the bleed/glow effect.

aaronjamespennell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I already knew all of the stuff you guys stated its just seeing as its my second one and I never seen this problem before(The blue light on the bottom, and yeah its EXTREMELY apparent regardless of the Camera... Id actually argue the way it looks in the picture aside from the other glows is exactly how it looks on my end haha I.E Extremely prevalent...). Wanted some reassurance that I wasnt somehow fucking something up haha I bought it through Amazon because of how good they are at returns. Seeing as its my second replacement I only have a return option(though I COULD go through customer service and get it replaced again) I'm just returning it and I'm going to buy another one and PRAY I get a decent roll in the lottery... Its just so weird, the monitor got extremely hot(Bottom right corner was legit HOT to the touch, not scolding but it was definitely hotter what I'd call "normal" I think... and the left was pretty much just your normal gaming monitor warmth) on the side the color is more prevalent and I BELIEVE it might be the case where the glow appeared after the monitor hit that temperature... So I was wondering if theres some kind of power issue or something OR if the display just simply cant handle its own designed specifications? hence the lottery? but this all brings me back to knowing nobody I could find has seen this issue on this monitor aside from me and it happened twice!! :(

If anybody knows what this problem is I'd REALLY appreciate the clarification...(As in, if its just a regular bleed/glow or what?) Whether its a normal TN Display(at this spec) problem or something that could be happening due to something else. I have my Monitor plugged into a UPS thats plugged into an Automatic Voltage Regulator(Constant 120v +/- 1v from my periodic checks, I'm almost finished an electrical engineering degree). So far it seems like most of you havent seem the problem before? Especially for a TN which I already knew, and is why I'm so confused. Another thing is it got extremely hot after I turned a game on. I have another 1440p 60hz Monitor plugged in, would that have any affect? Having a 1440p 60hz AND a 1440p 144hz Freesync on the same card?(I have 2 rx580's, the monitors are plugged into my primary card.) havent had any issues with my other monitor.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely not normal with any of it and if its heating up that much i wouldn't trust it.

Another monitor wouldn't cause that

Im not a sparky so dont understand what you're doing there with regulator whether its the reason or not, so youd know what youre doing but since you pointed it out under normal circumstances that would be the only difference so maybe try just monitor hooked up to mains.

Tn suffer a lot less glow a quick search will tell you that.

aaronjamespennell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I already know TN's suffer a lot less glow :p and I dont know honestly lol the previous Monitor that had the same fate was plugged into my UPS that was plugged into the wall whereas now I have the UPS plugged into the regulator into the wall. It shouldn't be a power issue from my house now and I havent had any issues with my other 1440p Monitor, I was just throwing everything out there to see if anything could get someones mind to just click and maybe understand the problem haha I'm thinking maybe I could try plugging my whole system onto a separate breaker though and seeing if that helps... Maybe haha

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
unless there is an issue output wise (UPS) or something like a short on the wires, nothing power related will cause that, except a broken moni.
didnt see the pic before my first post, thats why i said adjust the settings, but this is clearly a case for return/rma.

one reason i stopped looking at benq screens is that asus offers identical panels on their monis, and they also tend to get better ratings, than the same unit from benq.

10bit amva+ panel, 60/75Hz, great and accurate color but not suffering IPS bleed, almost perfectly calibrated right out of box.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7TrcCJ/asus-pb277q-270-75hz-monitor-pb277q

if you really need the 144Hz
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fMcMnQ/asus-monitor-mg278q

Solution

aaronjamespennell

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the MG278Q is the runner up if this one doesnt work out haha and naw the wattage is fine... I believe i used to have brownout problems(which sucks balls) as well as spikes lol so basically I bought the Automatic Voltage Regulator to keep the voltage essentially perfect and if it dips too far the AVR will cut off and the UPS will take over until the AVRs input power gets back into the rated range. So yeah I think its just a monitor issue but once again its just weird how it seems to be only in my case haha when I say its the exact same problem as the previous monitor I mean that literally hahaha

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
then it seems to be a part/QC issue on benqs side.

i didnt mean wattage/consumption, but that no power related issues would cause something like that.

make sure your UPS has real sinewave output (and not stepped, like +95% for consumer),
(active pfc) psus die relative quickly, when running on battery power.

i know the apc and the cyberpower ones with the white (backlit) led display are real sinus out,
and some rack/bigger units might too.
If yours doesnt, make sure to power down the pc after a few min (in case its just a brown, not black out), until power is bac