Suddenly high CPU and Disk Usage Unusable

dweis93

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
So I got this desktop about a month ago. I did a fresh install and it has been working great.

Recently, I woke up turned computer on as normal and it was very slow. Everything lagged. Opening web pages, folders, video...even right clicking to open task manager.

I restored it to a few days prior. Worked fine again. No problems. Turn off computer that night.
Next day, today, I wake up again and turn it on and once again, it's noticeably slow. More usable, than before, but slow.

I assumed I got a virus, especially since I was only using Windows Defender. That detected no viruses. So I got AVG. Again, detects nothing.

I decide to restore again (to the same restore point as before, since that point fixed the problem before). This time, it's still slow. I download AVG again and restart. The lag is worse! So bad that the very cursor lags across the screen when moved. Can't really do anything anymore.

I am currently running a chkdsk /r on the command prompt from some recovery options offered through bios screen. So far nothing but it still has a few hours to go. After that, I will run sfc /scannow.

If neither of those work, I'll boot into safe mode and try to run avg (free edition) there and see if it detects anything.

This is just bizarre behavior. I am avoiding a reset as I have horrible internet it would take a week for me to download my steam games and set everything up to my preference. I literally just set this computer up late December!

Specs

Intel i5 6420 2.8Ghz
Windows 10
8GB ram

The CPU and DISK are 90-100%, oddly though, even when they drop from that to even as low as 30%, the sluggishness doesn't go away. When it does drop below those numbers, any little action, even so much as a right click sends it to max.

dweis93

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Okay, so I completed both scans and they were both good. I couldn't do the AVG scan in safe mode because they no longer support that.

But on restart, the computer seems to be working normally again. I didn't do anything to fix it. So I'm not sure what to do.

dweis93

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Turn it on this morning and same damn thing. Even typing right now is a pain in the ass. No virus. No errors in hard drive. No problems with system integrity. Normal temperatures.

I'm at a complete loss for what is going on.