G-Sync and V-Sync help

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Hi, I am currently using a Dell S2716DG monitor and it has G-Sync included. I'm not familiar with the feature because its new to me. Do i need to turn on Nvidia Control Panel V-sync together with the G-Sync or only turn on the G-Sync? Thank you.

Jwpanz

Honorable
You only need to turn on GSync. VSync is a different feature that does not work together with GSync.

GSync takes the frame rate of your GPU and applies a matching refresh rate on your monitor so you see every frame in real time. VSync takes your frame rate and applies a certain percentage to the refresh rate in reference to your frame rate. Basically, if you are getting 90fps it will apply a 60Hz refresh rate. But if you go below 60fps it will reduce your refresh rate to 30Hz. It’s weird but does have its applications.

Just turn on GSync if you have an Nvidia card.

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

So in the Nvidia Control Panel i should just turn on only G-Sync right? V-sync off in both NVCP and ingame.

I have that monitor and a 1070. You want to have gsync and vsync enabled in the nVidia control panel and disabled in game. If the game has a frame limiter you want to set it just under 144fps. These articles explain why you want vsync on (eliminate tearing at high framerates):
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/270672/how-to-enable-optimize-and-tweak-nvidia-g-sync/amp/
Last two paragraphs of the article.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/g-sync-gets-even-better
Paragraph starts with, “For enthusiasts” and the italics note under the screenshot.

If anyone has newer release notes that change the implentation rules, please post ‘em.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Gsync basically means variable refresh rate. So if you are running game at say 78fps the monitor will run at 78hz, if you are at 35fps the monitor will run at 35hz etc up to 144hz. This eliminates tearing when framerate is in the gsync range.

It will work with vsync though I don't know why you would want to use the two together unless you had to for some reason, say if your fps was exceeding your monitors refresh rate and you had tearing. But in that situation I would just do a game engine FPS cap if I could.

farhansupaturk

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Okay like for example now I play pubg with avg of 110 fps, and I want low latency, just on G-sync only?