BSOD on fresh install of windows 10

maoshi

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Alright! Here we go, after about 1 week of trying to get everything to work by scavenging through forums, google, manuals, and friend, and to still no success, I wanted to ask you guys!

(There was one really similar thread, but I had another problem along with it)

I haven't built much rigs, this would be my fourth one.

Specs:
Ryzen 1800X
Asus Crosshair VI Hero (no wi-fi)
Asus 1050ti (was planning to upgrade once I found out more news on nvidia or amds upcoming gpus)
8x2gb 3200 mhz Trident Z RGB (I realize this isn't on the QVL, but I made sure to poke around and found other users running these sticks on this motherboard as well)
EVGA G3 750w

How it started:
I did manage to install windows 10 once on the first try after building. After maybe 3 hours I got my very first BSOD after a 3ish hour stream on twitch and was stuck in a loop ever since. Decided to wipe everything and reinstall windows again, unfortunately as the title states I cannot install windows 10 without a BSOD error. They were mostly Kmode exception not handled errors. It would usually bsod during the installation or after it does the first restart after installation.

What I tried:

Ram
Tried with 1 ram in every slot, both sticks, was a no go. I've ran memtest and it showed no errors, ran it 2 more times just to be sure, no errors. Also tried ramping up the voltages to 1.35, still no dice.

Storage:
Tried taking out my m.2 and installing on my HDD, still wouldn't install, also tried taking out my HDD and installing on my M.2 still wouldnt work. Went into command prompt with the windows installer and did chkdsk commands with /f and /r. told me there were no problems with my drives.

CPU:
CPU temps are pretty decent, never saw it go over 60 (kept a close eye on temperatures when everything seemed to be working the first time before my first bsod). Heard these were the most stable and least to go wrong in any build as well so I doubt it's my cpu. (But you never know I guess :p)

PSU:
Not really sure how to test this. It's 80+ and gold. It powers everything up.

GPU:
At first I was using a Radeon 7870HD from my old rig. Possibly thought it was that since it was the oldest component in the build. Bought a 1050ti and unfortunately that didn't solve the issue.

Motherboard:
I'm quite confident it has something to do with my motherboard. As even before any BSOD maybe my 5th time going into an updated bios (ver 3008 as I'm writing this) it would freeze. Can't move my mouse, or use my keyboard. It was absolutely random, sometimes I couldn't even stay 3 seconds in bios without it freezing, and sometimes I could go a whole 20 minutes without anything happening. I thought it was a ver 3008 thing so I flashbacked to 1701 and bios was smooth for a long time. Until today that is and it froze even during 1701.

I've poked around seeing why it would freeze and everyone on other forums always led to faulty ram, but i've ran several tests on them already and they were ok.

Friend:
I wouldn't say he's super experienced but he's built his fair share of PCs so I decided to ask him for help. We disassembled everything. We did a slicedbread? breadslicing? ... The process of not putting the mobo in the case lol. We took out the battery for 10 minutes, put it back in, and did everything I tried already pretty much. He mentioned that it was most likely not the CPU, I also share his opinion. We also found out that the LEDs on the mobo switch to pulsing blue and not it's default rainbow colour spectrum. Pulsing blue was my previous LED profile while I had windows up and running. (I thought clearing the CMOS, or taking out the battery would reset that to a default colour spectrum? I'm not sure, kinda just adds more suspicion to a faulty mobo to me) (Yes I add the u in colour, I'm Canadian :p)

I'm planning to take a trip back and replacing the mobo, kinda wanted to write something to vent my frustrations and see what the rest of the community thinks. I also have a bad experience with replacements. I bought a headset from Walmart 6 years ago, I was so excited that I went into my car and opened them up right away and found that the cables were burnt and ripped. I was excited but not that excited to cause burns or rips in the cables, so I went in to return (not even 20 minutes after buying) and the staff said I purposely burnt and ripped them. ?!? I asked them why I would even do such a thing and they just told me to go away..

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read through all of that if you did! Any help will be appreciated greatly

Colif

Win 11 Master
Kmode exception not handled errors are normally drivers, which is unusual for a PC with only default drivers installed.

that motherboard behaviour is also a worry

bread board.. close enough :)

i found this about flashing bios so blue led might be normal after a cmos reset as well:
Of course you can flash back to 9945. Format a usb stick using Fat32, find 9945 and copy it to the stick, go to 9945 on the stick and re-name it C6H.CAP.
Re-boot to the bios and load optimized default, save and exit , boot back into windows and shut down the computer. Remove the usb stick and insert it into the rear usb port named "Bios", press and hold the button marked "Bios" it will flash with a blue led, hold the button down until the flashing blue led goes to a steady blue. release the button and wait until the blue led goes out. Remove the usb stick and boot back to the bios, you will now see that the bios has been flashed back to 9945.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91766-Crosshair-VI-Hero-UEFI-build-update-thread/page88

Sounds like you need to talk to Asus.

maoshi

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hey Colif, thanks for the reply! I'll go ahead and contact Asus sometime this week and see how everything goes.

maoshi

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Alright I forgot to post an update ;p

I replaced the motherboard, and to my luck it fixed absolutely nothing! So I bought a Ryzen 3 1200 to use (honestly an insane apu for only $120 CAD) while i go ship the faulty 1800x back and wait for the new one to come in. Installed windows 10, installed and updated all the drivers necessary and experienced no problems. Got my new 1800x, installed it and everything works like a dream.

To sum it all up: Processor issues is butt

TRENDING THREADS