which one of these monitors is best for what im looking for? and different syncs?

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
So ive been having trouble with my current monitor as its only 60 Hz, Ive been experiencing screen tearing, some people have told me to look into a 144Hz monitor, ive found one however i have a gtx 1060 and people on the reviews are talking about the syncing to an amd card, and that it doesnt allow g-sync, I have no clue what the means, if someone could tell me if this monitor would provide me with a screen tearing-less experience when using a gtx card that would be fantastic.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-g2460pf-full-hd-24-led-144hz-gaming-monitor-10141938-pdt.html

or

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/hp-omen-24-5-full-hd-led-monitor-black-10166959-pdt.html

rontonomo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016
Because you have a nvidia gpu i would recommend (if you can afford it) a monitor with g-sync, as it will allow variable frame rates (which will get rid of screen tearing). If the monitor has freesync variable frame rate wont work on nvidia gpus, but you will still have the refresh rate of 144Hz. To be fair a monitor with 144Hz and no g-sync should still get rid of your tearing if you are looking to save a couple bucks you just wont have variable refresh rate changing to match what your gpu is putting out.
Hope this helps a little.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

Ive tried alot of things, and if i want my frames to be above 60 (which i do) nothing works, last solution is a higher refresh rate monitor

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gtx970 OC 124%. Cs:go gets a solid 300fps, no tearing, ultra settings. MGS5, solid 60fps with 4k DSR, no tearing and adaptive vsync active. Swtor, game capped at 90fps, ultra settings, no tearing.

Asus 1080p 60Hz 24" monitors.

It's not the monitor that's going to cause tearing, that's when the screen is updating between the refresh cycles and you get artifacts. Moving to a 144Hz monitor will usually cure most of that since the refresh is usually faster than the display is updating, but you can assume that at 300fps it'll do exactly the same. The only cure for stuttering/tearing is to have the gpu match the refresh, so 60/144 fps.

Stuttering/tearing is affected more by the cpu/gpu ratio and the game settings than the monitor, so before dropping a few hundred on something that may or may not fix the issue, figure out what's causing the problem, don't just assume it's because the monitor is only 60Hz.

You could also loose a good chunk of playability if the cpu can't keep up with the refresh demanded by the gpu/monitor forcing you to lower settings. Basically introducing stuttering to alleviate tearing.

rontonomo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016

bs... if your getting 300 fps on a 60Hz monitor it WILL LOOK LIKE SHIT... i know first hand...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I get 300fps. But I only see 60 because of the adaptive v-sync. That's a cap I set, not one of the pc's ability. If I had a 144Hz monitor, I'd likely turn the adaptive v-sync off. Usual average for cs:go is 200-300fps at ultra settings, depending on the cpu.