Can i do a sytem image of windows 10

Solution

I just upgraded my HTPC to v7.1 Free Home version.
Cloned the existing 128GB SSD to a blank 500GB HDD.

Worked just fine, with no demand for payment or subscription.
It DID leave the extra 353GB as unallocated, but that is easily corrected.

Possibly you had the trial of the paid version, instead of the actual free version?

The start:...

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
I used macrium reflect free version to do an backup, however to restore to larger hard drive it says I
have to buy their
software and renew it annually. I read some where that I can do a system image with 10. Just wondering if windows 10 will let me restore to larger drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Unless you have a VERY old version of Macrium, the Free version (Macrium Home 6 or 7), should work just fine for this.
I've done this multiple times, with both the free and paid versions. And NOT a 'renew annually' on the paid version.

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
i use to have the older version decided to update to 7.1. New version says I have to buy software to retore to larger drive. So i went to macrium website. New version requires annual update. I may be wrong but i am tired of doimng 2 hour backups and have this happen. Gonna try windows 10. probably run into a roadblock there too. This is getting tiresome.

USAFRet

Titan

I just upgraded my HTPC to v7.1 Free Home version.
Cloned the existing 128GB SSD to a blank 500GB HDD.

Worked just fine, with no demand for payment or subscription.
It DID leave the extra 353GB as unallocated, but that is easily corrected.

Possibly you had the trial of the paid version, instead of the actual free version?

The start:
YTOVEb5.png

The result:
M6ZXS4I.png

Solution

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
thanks for all the help. I finally figured out what i was doing wrong And I did get macrium reflect to do a restore. Seems the problem i was having was I was actually imaging a larger drive to a slightly smaller drive. The older i get the dumber I get. I was able to do so By turning off the selection (copy selected partitions when I select next). I was expecting it to fail but it completed successfully. Your suggestions and your advice kept me trying. Especially since it seemed to work for everyone else. Thanks again!