Building a new rig and been out the game for a while, some advice please?

Panacea

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have been out of the PC gaming scene for quite a while (in fact when going onto my go to website to build my rig, the last time I ordered was back in 2007!)

I would like some advice on the build that I have come up with please? Open to any suggestions and any feedback, I have gone for a build which pushes my budget to it's maximum, but allows for some upgrading along the way (upgrade GPU at a later date or maybe go SLi, switch from air to water cooling and overclock further, etc)

Case:
Cosmos c700p

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Strix z370-E

CPU:
i7 8700k

CPU Cooler:
Cooler Master Hyper 212x

GPU:
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1060

RAM:
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 (2666)

Storage:
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB

PSU:
Corsair RM550x

Additional Cooling:
3x 120mm Corsair SP120 (With Controller)
3x 120mm Corsair SP120

WildCard999

Titan
Do you need 32gb of RAM? 16gb is plenty for gaming and general use nowadays and the money saved going with 16gb can be used for a better CPU cooler and a larger HDD for storage. Besides that everything looks good and I wouldn't bother with SLI as the driver support nowadays is pretty poor, plus the 1060 doesn't support it anyways, just get a better card later on when needed.

topheron

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have certainly done your homework!

That is a great system and well balanced and supported.

Of course, it SUCKS trying to buy ram and graphics cards right now, and the only thing I'd do different is drop the 32gb of ram to 16gb.

For gaming alone, 16gb is good right now, and they say that ram prices next year will be dropping back to levels that don't involve the manufacturers artificially restricting supply to increase their profits.

So for me I would go with 16gb now, and in one year buy an addtional 16gb at possibly half of today's prices.

It all looks good!

Panacea

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Good point, realistically I don't think I will need 32GB, what CPU cooler would you recommend then?

Motherboard is a good choice and is really helpful if you need WiFi capabilities.

Asus ROG STRIX 1060 is over expensive. Go for a cheaper option from Gigabyte, EVGA or MSI. They are all good qualities and not as ridiculously expensive as the ROG 1060. Why did you not pick a 1070 or 1080? Better pair for the 8700k, but the 1060 is still a good card for 1080p.

However, with the current GPU prices, I would stay off the 1070 and 1080 path for a bit until prices cool down.

If you are only gaming, 32 GB is overkill. Take it down to 16GB, and you can use the money saved to increase storage capacity or a higher wattage PSU for more futureproofing.

Panacea

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah I have adjusted down to 16GB RAM.

Reason for 1060 as you said was because of prices on 1070's and 1080's, but reason I picked the ROG 1060 is because it has one of the highest clock speeds out of the 1060 range.

WildCard999

Titan

The Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 or 3 Pro cooler is really good, so is the Cryorig R1.

Panacea

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Thanks I'll take a look at those

Panacea

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
One thing I can't seem to find an answer for and it'll probably be a case of figuring it out once they're all in-front of me, but how exactly am I configuring all of the RGP components of my build? RGB is a new concept to me and wasn't around when I last built a computer, so any advice or heads up on where I am plugging everything into would be helpful.

WildCard999

Titan
I haven't messed around with RGB too much but I would think the kit your buying with the fans/controller it should give you instructions on how to connect it to the motherboard and comes with a controller to change the colors of the RGB.

TRENDING THREADS