Have helpdesk experience but no degree in IT, how do I enter?

myotherside1984

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right spot, sorry this is my first post. I have 4 years of IT helpdesk experience at college, and this wasn't just me answering phones and emails, if anyone brought in a broken computer or phone or one that was full of viruses or malware, I wouldn't hesitate to stay past hours to work on it. It was like a fun puzzle to me. I just recently started learning HTML and CSS for my job and found it very easy to pick up. I looked at SQL and (if I can find time and somewhere to practice) don't see too many issues learning it on my own time. I built my own computer, am advanced in Microsoft applications, am good with PC's and Mac's and generally decent at computers. I have no experience with servers or networking, but I seem to pick things up very quickly. I have a degree in Marketing and am only a year out of college and 2 weeks away from moving across the country to AZ. I'm curious what my next step should be. Should I get a job in Marketing for now and learn SQL and gain other certifications in the mean time, or should I look at a helpdesk job that I'm decently qualified for? What's everyone's experience on this?

myotherside1984

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

Is there opportunity to move up while in a position such as this? I obviously would love to go back to school for an associates in Computer Science, but that isn't cheap and if I can get through the door without a degree, I'd like that. I suppose I can go to school and work full time at the same time.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Whether or not there are chances for advancement depends on each company. Some will allow transfers to your preferred area after proving yourself capable in some time, others will not.

-Wolf sends

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with Wolfshadw.

Key is to convince a potential employer that you can do the job. And also be reliable, be honest, and a team player. Willing to step up and help without being asked. Helpful to co-workers, customers, and not a hassle to anyone. Able to communicate verbally and in writing. Follow direction but not blindly. Have common sense and courtesy. Be yourself but dress and groom with some forethought as to how (rightly or wrongly) you may be viewed.

Look at the employment ads in Arizona and learn what positions are being sought. Learn about the companies and start applying. You may not get the first few opportunities but make a good impression and they may remember you later for another opening. And it can also happen that the selected candidate does not work out.