Would using same mouse at work and home cause more fatigue?

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I am concerned about getting exactly same model for both and home use - would that perhaps cause more strain on wrists (due to same shape)? Do you have personal experience using such setup - does it have impact?

Factually, it's a matter of how well the mouse is made and to what expectations in the first place. If it's just a junky basic mouse like the Logitech M100, the extended hours on it could potentially do some damage. If it's say, a mouse specifically designed for ergonomics, it's about as good as you'll get anyway.

The issue with injury is more related to the positioning your arms and wrists are forced into - if you spend a lot of time in that bad position, it's bad regardless of if you use two different mice that facilitate it.

Reduced to some basic "math": timeInUse * (mouseAErgo + mouseBErgo)
If mouseA and mouseB both have bad or the same bad ergonomics inherent in their design, it doesn't particularly matter if they're actually different mice, the root problem is still the same.

If you have concerns, something you may want to consider is purchasing a basic vertical mouse. There are big names for $40-100, but honestly, if you go online to eBay you can find a passable one for like $15. Provided, of course, that your work isn't intimately dependent on having a quality mouse - the eBay ones should suffice just fine for office work, and I doubt you'll get any shade over using your own preferred mouse if you claim your wrists get sore.

Hell, maybe see if you can expense one of the better ones out!

Best practice is to take regular breaks. If you're looking for an ergo mouse at a decent price, something like this might work:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32817353745.html?spm=a2g01.11143849.kc94488.280.5b18bf59UKyKM4&scm=1007.16233.92206.0&pvid=6f92a542-a6f0-442c-8ae8-aad5f0e1a2ea

Note: I have no experience with this model specifically, but it's at a price point the quality is likely to be acceptable.

wondra2

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

To be more specific the mouse in question is Logitech G502, I can tell for sure that it is comfortable to use. Gaming mice I have the most experience with but now when mentioned, definitely will look into specialized/vertical mice as well.

One of the unfortunate issues of "comfy" is that we can feel it despite it not really being very good for us....

As an example, I have a G600 MMo from logitech, it feels fine. Yet I'm still starting to get some signs of RSI in that hand, as it orients your arm in such a way that isn't good. The basic idea with vertical mice is they stop the bones from your forearm from crossing as much and keep your wrists at a natural angle as well. As you may notice if you're typing on a regular keyboard, you sort of do this with your wrists:

__/

And that is pinching the tendon something fierce, which isn't great for it. That's what the vertical mice are designed to avoid, but on the mouse end of things. Beware about spending too much though... the established brands often cost like $80 for what is a basic mouse... just vertical.