Fast Internet with High Ping

Pedraamy

Reputable
Jul 14, 2017
Hi I need some internet help please. I get 175 down and 7 up while connected through an Ethernet cable. The problem is I get very high ping, from 100-150.

I have taken many steps in an attempt to reduce this. I have done pretty much everything you can think of from tweaking the properties on my Ethernet connection to even tweaking settings in the system registry. All to no avail.

The high ping makes playing any FPS absolutely unbearable. Also, the distance between my house and my ISP server is 25 miles if it is any help. If there are any steps some of you know of that could help my situation that would be greatly appreciated.

Open a command prompt and enter "tracert google.com"

1. In the command prompt, enter "ping x.x.x.x -n 50" where x.x is the first address listed in tracert. This should be your router. It tests your local network. Ping time should be very low (1ms or less) with no lost packets. If not, then there is a problem on your local network.

2. In the command prompt, enter "ping x.x.x.x -n 50" where x.x is the second address listed in tracert. This should be your ISP (unless you have 2 routers). Ping time should be low (30ms or less) with no lost packets. If not, then there is a problem on your connection to your ISP.

3. You can also do this for some random website, but from your description we would expect you to have a high ping time. The thing is that if your local network is ok and your connection to your ISP is ok, then the problem is the internet. When I figure out how to fix the internet I will let you know.

Let us know what you find out. Feel free to post test results.