Dell monitor (E207WFP) faulty after rim removal.

sth135

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hello. Recently I just took the front rim cover off my Dell E207WFP, because the power button broke. Taking that thing off was a quite a hassle, but after modifying the button (which still didn't click properly afterwards) and putting everything together, when I plugged it in, no connections, it turns bright gray with some weird scan line. No text boxes, and when plugged in, it just highly distorts everything in the same effect. Light smacks and shuffles don't appear to effect it at all. Nothing is usable. I have no idea what messed up, all I did was remove some plastic and I doubt the button circuit would cause this. I'm in a really tough situation, I have no other decent monitor to use nor can I afford anything in months. Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Solution
You can try soldering a bypass. It is extremely delicate and difficult for even seasoned soldergun jockeys. You expose a bit of the metal and solder in some wire to complete the circuit. It is tricky because too much heat and the metal in the trace can be destroyed.

sth135

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I've tried with the rim and back cover on and off, still the same result. I didn't see how to rim would connect with any wiring/circuitry, just metal. Everything inside seems to be fine, no scratches or cuts. The rim solely attaches to the back cover. There is some board on the top back of the panel underneath the cover, but it's covered by tape and plastic, no noticeable damage

There aren't that many options.
1. You damaged something while removing the re-installing the trim. This could be the button itself, an intrusion prevention sensor, or something which just wiggled loose from the jostling.
2. The monitor had issues before and just died. This could be the original issue getting worse, or something else just giving up the ghost.

sth135

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
UPDATE: I believe I may have found the issue. I remember scraping something with my flathead when trying to remove the rim, and it seems it dug to and scratched the thin circuit surrounding the thin clear glossy panel which covers a lighting panel. Just because heck it, I lightly scratched it a little more, and now it's just white. I assume that maybe the front clear thing is not functioning due to no passage on the scratched part? I have no idea what any of this is other than what I've done. It's just pure bright white behind the clear thing which I assume does something because it has a circuit. Any more info is much appreciated.

sth135

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Sorry, not white, but differently glitchy. A cord wasn't plugged in. What I need to figure out is if I can get those specific parts of the board somehow replaced.

You can try soldering a bypass. It is extremely delicate and difficult for even seasoned soldergun jockeys. You expose a bit of the metal and solder in some wire to complete the circuit. It is tricky because too much heat and the metal in the trace can be destroyed.

Solution