AMD Annoints Two New Heads Of Its Radeon Technologies Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
as long as this means we will SOON see reasonable priced GPU for the "average" consumer able to "fill" the shelves instead of the recent massive either glut or crazy higher than MSRP/MSEP on graphics cards, this will be a good thing, hard to offer financial support when a product that should cost say $200 tax/shipping instead is costing $350 or more for the same product, great for the seller (amazon etc) but terrible for the end consumer (and likely just as terrible a prospect for AMD in this case who unlikely profit from such gouging..they sell per 1k units at X price afterall)

I have had Radeon since back in the 4870 release time, they seemed to be back and forth direct competition in all metrics from that time frame up until the 7000 series, and they seemed to have mis stepped, or mis judged since this time..2000 to vega have all been "ok" in their own fashion, but IMO have not been "darlings" either, and seeing as I do not buy nor support Nv in any way (who do far more damaging things in the past and tend to continue doing to us the end customer..whether folks admit it or not) we need AMD to be as directly competing on the graphics front as they are now on the cpu front.

They still have not made a "modern" 7870 replacing card given the amount of shaders, rop, tmu, buswidth, power usage etc, they need to fix that, if they could nail" better" than a 7870 for at least as good power use while having more memory and of course better performance at ~$230 MAXIMUM CAD$ pricing (tax and shipped) they will have done well.

I thought the whole point of die shrinks and such was to drive costs down (more functional chips that perform faster at lower temperature/power) I am all in for seeing more and more features on a product, but, am "ok" with them keeping roughly around the same power use but a bunch of extra performance or getting power down for around the same performance at a reduced price type deal)

Anyways, am sure it will be a great 2018, at least we know AMD is not sitting on their backside (putting the $ they make towards getting the best possible products out the door)

Intel will likely target the low-to-mid range of the desktop graphics market first, which poses more of a threat to AMD than Nvidia.
That's assuming AMD doesn't have higher-end parts coming out by then. It will likely take Intel at least a couple years to release a product, after all. Intel joining the GPU market could be good for encouraging AMD to once again compete more directly with Nvidia at the high end, and maybe once again bring the efficiency levels of Radeon cards back in line with the competition. And more competition might be good for consumers, at the very least.

Neither is the best.

The 7870 used the "Pitcairn" GPU; its last iteration was found in the R7 265, where it was used along with the Curaçao GPU of very similar specifications (it's actually the same chip) - the latter continued up to the 3xx generations (R7 370), and was excellent bang for the bucks. In short, if you bought a "golden" 7870 in 2012 and overclocked it some, you had a very capable card up until 2016, regularly getting better performance along with driver optimizations - and that's when the Polaris chips came out. The RX460 was meh, the RX560 is quite a bit better actually, but if you got a reference RX480 8 Gb when it came out, then you're still happily rocking a good 1080p/1440p card today. I know I do. And, yes, I went through a HD4850, a HD7770, a R9 270 and now a RX480. They all actually got better performance with time.

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
"David Wong most recently hails from Synaptics, where he was senior vice president of Systems Silicon Engineering. Wang also previously served as corporate vice president at AMD"
Is it "Wong" or "Wang"?
Cheers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.