1080p vs 1440p

eglang03

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
I had been convinced for a while that 1440p was WAAAAYYYY better than 1080p but I’m starting to wonder if the $300+ you pay for 1440p over 1080p is that worth it. I mean a large majority of esports players use 1080p, major streamers like timthetatman, summit1g, ninja all use 1080p. What don’t they use 1440p, their pc’s can definitely run it. I’m curious what it really has over 1080p?

The bigger the screen the more it comes into play. If you are sitting on a 23 - 24 inch @ 50cm++ away from it... you will not see mutch difference at all if any.

Same as with TV`s... people are soooo into the whole 4k hype.
Hey look at me I got a 65 inch 4k tv and I am sitting 7 meter away from it... Thumbs up...
I understand 4k and the "need" for it if you are running a 180 inch+ projector and are sitting 5-6 meter away from. Then you need it so the picture dont seems so boxy and pixelated.

But if you are playing at 30 inch+ monitor and are sitting 50cm away from it. You should see a difference. Small but it is there.

InvalidError

Titan
eSports player play at 1080p because every 1ms of input-output latency lag they can eliminate by reducing GPU load is 1ms better (or at least not worse) response time over their opponents and when you're against equally skilled and fast players, 1ms can make the difference between a win and a loss. Streaming-wise, playing beyond 1080 severely limits your video capture choices and drastically increases video processing overhead if you apply overlays and composition of multiple inputs to the output stream.

Higher resolutions are mainly for people concerned with image quality and eye candy more than being the absolute most competitive they can possibly be. At the rate UHD display prices have been melting, there are many UHD+HDR monitors and TVs at similar or lower prices than 1200-1600p monitors, which means we're in the final years of intermediate resolution monitors before UHD becomes the only option that makes sense after 1080p.