.msi Installation Error "Installation directory must be on a local hard drive"

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
First, thank you for helping me/reading this. I can't find anyone with an answer, and this makes me want to give up and cry myself to sleep.

Anyway...
Trying to install Minecraft, which uses a .msi installer. Never had issues, until now. When asked about the destination folder and clicking next, you get this pesky error: "Installation directory must be on the local hard drive" (see image). But, I'm installing it onto my C: drive (the local hard drive).

However, there's a fix. By running command prompt as an admin and entering msiexec /i "(.msi file, e.g. C:\Users\(user)\Downloads\Minecraft Installer)". Except, it doesn't work with Minecraft (I swear every time I get close to fixing anything, something random BS like this happens). Confirmed this with both Mojang staff and #minecraft-help IRC. Mojang staff told me this is a permissions error with Windows 10, and they can't do anything. So, I updated ownership of my program files. Still nothing.

I bought this PC used off Craigslist, so I wasn't surprised when I heard I had to take ownership. I have ownership and full control of my AppData and program files (x86, don't think Minecraft messes with 64-bit).

Any ideas/help are very appreciated. Driving me crazy. Thanks!

tFRttZb.png

Solution
I bought this PC used off Craigslist, so I wasn't surprised when I heard I had to take ownership.

Stop right there.

For ANY used PC, your very first move needs to be a full wipe and reinstall.
You have no idea what the previous owner(s) had in there.

Plus, you have no idea how this was set up. And from this error...something is Not Right.

Full wipe and reinstall.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

USAFRet

Titan
I bought this PC used off Craigslist, so I wasn't surprised when I heard I had to take ownership.

Stop right there.

For ANY used PC, your very first move needs to be a full wipe and reinstall.
You have no idea what the previous owner(s) had in there.

Plus, you have no idea how this was set up. And from this error...something is Not Right.

Full wipe and reinstall.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Solution

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

TL;DR
I've already fully reset Windows, without keeping files. Should I still go through and follow the guide to reset again?

USAFRet

Titan

I meant a full clean install, which includes deleting ALL existing partitions, and starting with a blank drive.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Nevermind, talk about bad timing... Lost my ultimate flash drive and don't want to do anything until I find it. It had all my files, and 2 hours of work downloading all the installers for all my programs. RIP