Do we still need to clean install Windows 10 after

yafatana

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
A new big windows 10 update ? Like for example between the current fall creators update and the upcoming redstone 4 ? To only update or clean install For better Windows 10 performance or there is no need anymore

Solution
No, you do not need to "clean install" Windows for each update. Unless you've made a real mess of your system, the time wasted reinstalling everything is not worth the result of near-minimal to zero performance gains.

Instead, just update, then 1. do a "Disk Cleanup" then 2. optimise via "Defragment and Optimise Drives".

If you do decide to scorch and burn and then "clean install", make sure to do a backup or even image your current setup. 'And once everything is installed and set up to your liking, image the new install.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
I only do clean installs when I start to encounter those niggling little problems that start to add up after about a solid year on my production machines (or I start to get sudden, bigger problems...)(often PEBSAK...). Win10 is shaping up to be a pretty fine OS (no, I don't work for Microsoft...well, OK, I do that Insider's Preview thing on one or two machines, but...).

Anyway, if you're not having problems, it's not worth the whole wipe/clean install anymore (remember Win95 where, if you didn't shut the machine off once a week, it would crash itself out?). From what I've seen of the recent major upgrades (and the insider's updates) Microsoft is really starting to get a handle on the whole update/upgrade thing.

That's my opinion. Your mileage may vary...

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of keeping a level head and your sensitive data in check, it's always a good idea to backup your critical content onto a removable storage media and then update to your heart's content. In the event that you'll need to reinstall the OS, you can rest assured that you wont loose anything valuable. A word of caution, really since the OS can go belly up during the update process(for a number of people it holds true).

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
Oh yeah, what he said. I am a religious fanatic about backups: I have an HDD dedicated to incremental backups (automatic, every hour), I do data backups every several days (or daily when I generate a lot of "stuff") and I probably make way too many image backups, just in case...

signalpromise

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
No, you do not need to "clean install" Windows for each update. Unless you've made a real mess of your system, the time wasted reinstalling everything is not worth the result of near-minimal to zero performance gains.

Instead, just update, then 1. do a "Disk Cleanup" then 2. optimise via "Defragment and Optimise Drives".

If you do decide to scorch and burn and then "clean install", make sure to do a backup or even image your current setup. 'And once everything is installed and set up to your liking, image the new install.

Solution