Windows Update 1709 problem

sjp3568

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Hey guys -

So this stupid windows update has been driving me crazy lately. It will download and install but never finish... Not just once, but it keeps on trying to download+install, which makes my computer very slow. Tried google-ing and Youtube-ing to fix, but there wasn't a clear answer...

I figured out a way to stop and disable the windows update under "services" feature, but the thing is it keeps on turning back on when i restart my computer! I wish to know the following:

1. If there's a way, how to fix and properly download and install this stupid ef-ing thing.
2. Or, how to permanently disable the windows update feature so I don't have to disable it every time i restart my PC.
3. Finally, if I decide not to install this 1709 version, will it have any negative impact on my PC?

Thanks guys... this stupid thing can burn in hell.

Solution
1| You could recreate your bootable USB installer, the ISO used should be equipped with the 1709 update eventually arming the USB device.
2| I wouldn't want to tinker with that feature since it tends to send the OS into madness(when you least expect it).
3| You're fine as is, right? Then that is something a lot of people ask and quite frankly it's not needed since Windows 10 just likes to do things it's own way.

Lutfij

Titan
1| You could recreate your bootable USB installer, the ISO used should be equipped with the 1709 update eventually arming the USB device.
2| I wouldn't want to tinker with that feature since it tends to send the OS into madness(when you least expect it).
3| You're fine as is, right? Then that is something a lot of people ask and quite frankly it's not needed since Windows 10 just likes to do things it's own way.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Create a USB or DVD WIn 10 install. Creating it today will include the 1709 update.
Start the install process, and select "Keep Everything"
That will do the 1709 install, but keep everything else as it currently is.

sjp3568

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014

Hey guys, thanks for reading. Am I looking at the correct video to perform #1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iosA3Bn9RMI

USAFRet

Titan

Rufus is one way to do it.

Or, just use the actual functionality in the MediaCreation tool.
Either way is easy.