Keyboard and Mouse Stop working at Login Screen

Werepig

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
I just finished a fresh install of windows this morning and I had been using it fine for about a few hours. I have restarted my pc a few times since then and one time when I restart it the keyboard and mouse go black and I am unable to log in to my computer. (See Video) What should I do, I have unplugged, replugged and tested every USB slot and all of them work with other devices except these. Also when going into BIOS it works fine.

Video:https://youtu.be/3m82qnYPjYg

Dec 11, 2017
Try uninstalling the drivers for your failing devices and do a reboot to see if they rise from the dead? or if that doesn't help, try this: log in with your working devices, create a System restore point (because "Safety First"), hold down the Windows key and press "R", a Run dialog box will open and type "gpedit.msc" in the field, then a window called "Local Group Policy Editor" should open, if it does then navigate through "Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions" and find "Allow installation of devices using drivers that match these device setup classes" - double click it, switch it to "Disabled" then apply the settings. After that, open Device Manager, uninstall the drivers for your failing devices, exit Device Manager and reboot. See if the devices start working after reboot and report back.

Werepig

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

M8 I can't even get into the PC so I can't do any of that. My keyboard and mouse don't work.

Charlie Farrow

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
The latest Windows 10 update seems to of f**ked a lot of these. Found the solution.
Use restore disk; restore from last restore point.
Problem fixed.

Had me puzzled for some time; i tried lots of things. Eventually swapped HDD with another PC and realized it was the software.
The internet seems to be saying it is KB4074588 that has caused the issue.

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

When I go to system restore, the only restore point I get is in 02/06/2016 when I installed direct x lol, I'd rather not loose almost 150gb of stuff if possible. If there is would there be an alternative???
Sorry for the fuss

Charlie Farrow

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

Charlie Farrow

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
You won’t lose all your documents from a system restore - it only resets the system files. You might need to reinstall some software though.
PS..... Backup in future! The day will come when you lose all your things and you can’t recover them!

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Wait do you mean reinstall windows or system restore???

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Yea, jeez PC2 keyboards aren't even that cheap wth.
I guess I'll just have to lose all my games lol including massive gta 5

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Before when I was talking about reinstalling windows I was talking about the Reset This Pc option, which reinstalls windows, theres an option to chose wether to remove personal files or not(anyways I tried it and it didnt work).
But anyways, I'm pretty sure system restore does delete your files, since it restores it to the previous state you choose and in my case the only system restore point I have is from a year ago, and since then I have downloaded heaps of games from steam and what not, theres also a list when in system restore which tells you which programs are affected.
So should I still go ahead with this option???

Charlie Farrow

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

Charlie Farrow

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
The system restore restores only your system files, not you documents and applications, so try that first.

Unfortunately I found with the system restore I couldn’t stop the problem, so I have now reinstalled windows anyway.

Do the system restore first; compared with a complete reinstall it’s quicker, it will also allow you to retrieve all the documents etc you want after the restore then if you have to do a clean install, you won’t of lost anything.

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
do you mean reset this pc?? which reinstalls windows and doesent touch system files if you select the option. Because im pretty sure restore this pc deletes all the programs and applications/files back to the point in time you choose. If you are talking about system restore, are you sure you can retrieve the lost programs and files??

Btw I tried reset this pc which reinstalls windows the first time and no result.

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

TRENDING THREADS