Audio issues with windows 10.

jarrnify

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Hi,

My PC was turned off for approximately 5 days and when I turned it back on there was no audio playing through the speakers. I restarted the PC then a new windows 10 update initiated (Creators update or something) I tried:

-Checking volume
-Checking mixer
-Updating drivers (GPU, realtek, etc.)
-Disabling enhancements
-Changing default speakers
-Going into BIOS for audio chip

The problem is that it shows audio is playing on the PC (volume going up and down under playback devices) but nothing will play through my speakers OR headphones. My speakers are working because I can plug my phone in and it plays music fine. I have gone through countless websites/videos and nothing helps.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Solution

If you think is the front jack then disconnect the front jack audio header from the motherboard.
Which motherboard and PC case do you have?

-Make sure your audio is not muted. If that's not the issue then continue.
-Go to the Device Manager, and check how many sound devices you have. If there are 2 devices listed then the sound might be coming from the other device which could be the HDMI port. If that's the case the go to All Settings, click on System and select Sound on the left pane.
On the right pane, under choose your output device select Speaker/Headphones from the drop down menu.
-If that's not the issue then go to Device manager and uninstall all sound devices, restart and let Windows find the drivers.

jarrnify

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Jojesa - I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, no luck. And as in the question says, I changed the volume etc.
Spookyfan4 - As the question says, I changed default devices.

I think my front jack has become broken because that's the jack saying its permanently playing audio even though nothing is physically in it, and thus is muting my rear jack which is where i plug my speakers into. The only problem is I can't disable the front jack from prioritizing over the rear jack. Any help?

If you think is the front jack then disconnect the front jack audio header from the motherboard.
Which motherboard and PC case do you have?

Solution