Processor constantly at 100% (on new laptop)

rianne009

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Hi,

I've bought myself a new laptop: HP Thinbook with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB storage, runs on Windows 10.
I noticed that it was way too slow for a new laptop, so I did some research online and found that the problem must be that the processor is at 100% most of the time. Even when there's nothing opened. Windows Modules Installer Worker is nearly always on the top of the list.

Should I return the laptop or is it a Windows problem?
I barely know anything about computers so please keep that in mind while answering :D

I hope someone can help me! :??:

Rianne

Solution
download a program called: HWMonitor

run it and see if the cpu is running at 100%
see if the hdd is running at 100%
(both of which can happen and slow your pc/laptop)

if you believe it is background windows installations, open your internet configuration and set it to 'metered' - this tells windows that it costs money to download updates, so it wont update. does the problem still persist?
no = windows updates are slowing your pc/laptop
yes - something else is slowing your pc/laptop.
When you buy a new computer, it's been sitting in a warehouse or store for some time and is not current on maintenance. That means that it has to download and install a lot of Windows Updates. Start Windows Update and see if it doesn't tell you that it's doing this. If so, you just need to give it enough time to get caught up.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
download a program called: HWMonitor

run it and see if the cpu is running at 100%
see if the hdd is running at 100%
(both of which can happen and slow your pc/laptop)

if you believe it is background windows installations, open your internet configuration and set it to 'metered' - this tells windows that it costs money to download updates, so it wont update. does the problem still persist?
no = windows updates are slowing your pc/laptop
yes - something else is slowing your pc/laptop.

Solution