Stuck on update, can't get into windows

leftthegan

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
For a few months now my computer never started on the first try and I always have to press the start button, wait a few minutes then press the start button twice again to reboot just to start the computer.

That in itself isn't a huge problem but now it tried installing an update that had to restart the computer and after a few times of it trying to reboot and failing because it always gets stuck when booting up it's now on every boot saying "restoring previous version of windows" then restarting, getting stuck, I have to manually restart it and then it says restoring previous version of windows again and has been stuck in a loop of that for hours.

Is there anything I can do to fix the booting problem or at least stop the update?

Thanks for any help!

Solution
lets see if we can fix both... I suspect only fix from here is a fresh install but we can try to save data off PC so you don't lose it all.

The only updates you will get that require restarts are version updates which also explains the "restoring previous version of windows" messages. Its likely really messed up and starting fresh is best answer.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

copying data:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
I typed notepad in which obviously opened the notepad. From there I went to file > open...

Colif

Win 11 Master
lets see if we can fix both... I suspect only fix from here is a fresh install but we can try to save data off PC so you don't lose it all.

The only updates you will get that require restarts are version updates which also explains the "restoring previous version of windows" messages. Its likely really messed up and starting fresh is best answer.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

copying data:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
I typed notepad in which obviously opened the notepad. From there I went to file > open which opened a file explorer. I plugged an external hard drive into my USB port, and I searched for all of my most irreplaceable files and copied them onto the external drive, then once I finished, I plugged my drive into my Mac and confirmed that all the files are all there.

Once you have everything off PC, lets try a clean install as it might also fix your booting problem
Fresh install:
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for license, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution

leftthegan

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Thank you for the answer!
While it wasn't really that easy it helped me on the way to fixing the issue.

To anyone with the same problem here is how I solved it:

At first I couldn't even get into bios because my keyboard connected too late but that was an easy fix by connecting another keyboard. In bios I changed the booting from quick boot to normal boot which fixed the issue of having to reboot when starting

I knew that a reset of The PC wouldn't fix the booting issue because I did a full reset just a week before to try to fix it but now when I got it fixed from bios I could reset the PC using a USB drive and my school computer to install windows. I got some errors when trying to install the new windows but after some power button pressing and random keyboard button pressing it worked and I got into windows!