My PC used to boot in 5 secs, now it takes 15

Jan 28, 2018
I recently built a new computer that would boot up in 5 seconds. 1 month passed and now it boots in 10-20 seconds. I think this happened when I changed the RAM sticks (I had 8GB and now I have 16B), but that would be very weird.

My specs are:

(Water cooled) Intel Core i7-7700K
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM (3000Mhz)
500GB Samsung SSD

I'd like to know if I should worry about this slight delay while booting, and if there's any way to make it faster.

PS: I already tried cleaning junk files, scanning for viruses and uninstalling programs that I don't use.

Solution
Shouldn't have anything to do with the hardware or RAM change unless you didn't check in BIOS to see if the MB detected the new RAM and it's set at the correct frequency.

Most likely it's software that has been installed since the system was built causing your system to boot a little slower. Check all the things that are auto loading on boot by typing "msconfig" in the run prompt or navigate to system configuration and select the startup tab. From here you can disable some of the non-critical programs from auto-loading on system boot. If you try this be careful not to disable any essential programs like your anti-virus software etc.

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Shouldn't have anything to do with the hardware or RAM change unless you didn't check in BIOS to see if the MB detected the new RAM and it's set at the correct frequency.

Most likely it's software that has been installed since the system was built causing your system to boot a little slower. Check all the things that are auto loading on boot by typing "msconfig" in the run prompt or navigate to system configuration and select the startup tab. From here you can disable some of the non-critical programs from auto-loading on system boot. If you try this be careful not to disable any essential programs like your anti-virus software etc.

Solution
Jan 28, 2018

Thanks for your answer!
It detects the RAM, I already checked that. I didn't install any kind of software, just had an update for Razer Synapse but I don't think that would increase the booting time, although I have the "Start when windows starts" option enabled.
I tried disabling some programs in the Task Manager's Startup tab, but I'll definitely try the "msconfig"

budgetgamer12345

Respectable
Sep 8, 2017
This isn't a problem.
You've downloaded some games on your SSD at this takes as usually some space on your SSD, so the more space you've used on your SSD the slower it will be.
The RAM is not affecting your boot times but the more amount of GB's you are using on your SSD.

Jan 28, 2018

Thanks for your answer!
All my installed software take up to 45% of the SSD's space, that means I have +/- 280GB of free space, so that should be enough for a fast booting. Plus, all the software was there before the PC got slower at booting, I only installed some updates.