CPU Temps With Water Cooling

alexsterling76

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,
I have my i7 7700k water cooled using the magicool DCP450 pump/reservoir and I would just like to enquire about temperatures. I hit 72c today while playing Fallout 4 on VR and I am just wondering if that's an ok temperature for my cpu. It's the highest it's been I should say that my cpu has not been overclocked. Am i worrying about nothing?

Cheers

alexsterling76

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Sorry, since posting this I have ordered a delidded 8700k with asus Maximus x. I have also ordered the EKWB EK-KIT P240 water cooling kit so Im hoping for things will improve. I did have the Magicool DCP450 with the a XSPC EX240 240mm Dual radiator. I have the Coolermaster Cosmos SE case, 2 fans on intake at front, Radiator at top with 2 fans set to pull. But all the fans are from xigmatec and the new fans coming with the kit are High static fans so I should see slightly better performance. I just wish I could set up a push/pull config up top but I don't think I will have room with my case.

Just out of curiosity when I get my new motherboard where should I plug my EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM into? I see slots for CPU, AIO and a bunch of others.

it's not important were you plug it. The pump's 4pin (out of the box) is only getting PWM signal and returning RPM. The power comes from molex.
so if you are fine with it, CPU_Fan is a nice point as you can configure the PC to shutdown if the pump is not running.
If you are adventurous enough, you can modify the cables into a single 4 pin fan connector which. In that case, connect it to the high amp header (2A or more).

As a side note, if you are spending that much on MB, there are much better and cooler liquid cooling components than EK's (which are so far from the best).
They are not even the largest variety of GPU blocks and monoblocks anymore.

alexsterling76

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
I was under the impression that EK had a good reputation. I have a mostly XSPC set up at the moment, with tubing fittings and radiator and a Raystorm waterblock. Just figured I'd stick a new water set up as im replacing everything else. I haven't got my gpu cooled...yet. Not sure that I need it as it very rarely gets hot enough to really warrant it.

Thanks for your reply

EK is a mainstream - read nothing special lately.
In case you can/want to return the kit, here is a glimpse on what is out there:
check those CPU blocks for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-z7nIYVKWM
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=7_11_12_2694
Optionally integrated out of the box temp sensor, oled display, RGB and even adjustable geometry. for the later, in EK Supremacy EVO, you need to disassemble the block and replace insert and jet plate. And it connects to USB so you can control the fans based on liquid temperature and use that small display for may things.
Most awesome (convenient, advanced, flexible) pump top and pump/res mounts are from singularity computers:
https://www.singularitycomputers.com/
Best radiators in terms of performance - HWLabs
Best radiators in terms of flexibility and size - alphacool
Best fittings - bitspower