Clone Display (Pc Monitor to TV) Impacting Performance

robin.aird

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hi guys, I'm trying to clone my PC display to my TV so that I can play gameswhile looking at main monitor but someone could watch me play via the big TV screen instead. SO i have ADM 7970 set up in displays to duplicate my desktop on Monitor 1 to my TV. But when I play games there is heavy performace reduction in my game. I thought because the display is simply being cloned that there would be no performance impact? I'm running two 7970 GPUs, main monitor DVI to main GPU, TV HDMI to 2nd GPU.

Help!

Solution

Using outside splitter is the best idea in this situation if you ask me. Downside is off course the fact you have to add additional device on the way between your rig and displays but it is as close to actually clone/mirror screen as you can get.
All the splitting work will be done by device and not your rig which should solve performance issue. Just make sure to pick relatively good splitter with enough/correct type ports as well as image type. You know make sure that it can process for example 4k or 1080p whichever quality is your goal.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I'm affraid that is rather normal. Even though you clone/mirror same image to 2 devices the image needs to be processed and sent individually to both of them hence the drop in performance as the work your rig is doing to process the image i doubled. Lesser drop or none at all would occur if you would "split" screen that's why you see quite many people's gaming stations pictures with 3 monitors next to each other.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Using outside splitter is the best idea in this situation if you ask me. Downside is off course the fact you have to add additional device on the way between your rig and displays but it is as close to actually clone/mirror screen as you can get.
All the splitting work will be done by device and not your rig which should solve performance issue. Just make sure to pick relatively good splitter with enough/correct type ports as well as image type. You know make sure that it can process for example 4k or 1080p whichever quality is your goal.

Solution

robin.aird

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I downloaded a program called UltraMon which seems to not impact my PC gameplay very much when using it to mirror to TV. But the TV quality of the game isn't brilliant. Thanks for your help man I will look for a splitter. But I really doubt I will find something that splits DVI to a DVI + HDMI 2.0.