Second Monitor Doesnt Work Anymore After Months Of Working Just Fine

toastedface27

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Alright, so I accidentally unplugged my power cable to my pc and shut it down when I was in a game of pubg. No big deal, right? Well, I thought so until I turned it back on and my bios was on my second monitor. I thought that was weird and continued to boot into windows and realized my main monitor wasn't being detected. So i shut it down again and unplugged my second monitor, and booted up again. This time it was on my main monitor but now I cant get my second monitor to work again, I have tried updating drivers, removing drivers, clearing cmos, and swapping what port I have both of them plugged into. They are both displayports and my main monitor will work in either slot, while my second monitor doesnt work in either of them.

Solution
Have you tried the cable from the 1st monitor to the 2nd one?
Have you tried the 2nd monitor on a 2nd PC?
With the power off, remove the video card, clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol, remove and re-insert the power lead and re-install the video card.

Since you have eliminated the port on the video card the only other points of component failure would be the cable or the monitor (with a very remote possibility of the video card being marginal and work on one more tolerant monitor and not the other).
Have you tried the cable from the 1st monitor to the 2nd one?
Have you tried the 2nd monitor on a 2nd PC?
With the power off, remove the video card, clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol, remove and re-insert the power lead and re-install the video card.

Since you have eliminated the port on the video card the only other points of component failure would be the cable or the monitor (with a very remote possibility of the video card being marginal and work on one more tolerant monitor and not the other).

Solution

toastedface27

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

Thanks, forgot to test the actual cable itself. For some reason my second monitor doesnt accept a minidisplayport or regular displayport signal, but hdmi works just fine. Im still confused as to how this would have happened by me shutting down my computer but its not really a big deal.