[SOLVED] Can You Use an Existing SSD from a Windows PC and FORMAT it in Mac Utilites BOOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
I have an Intel SSD 480gb that I would like to install High Sierra on. So I want to put the SSD in my Macbook Pro and boot from USB installer. Will MacOS utility know how to format this SSD correctly, erase all data from a Windows OS? Any solution?

You will only be able to use a SATA SSD if you have a very old MBP that came with a HDD. And even then, some of them use a connector with a proprietary temperature sensor. You'll need to transfer the sensor and connector to the SSD, otherwise the fan will run a full (noisy) speed.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

The MBPs which ship with SSDs use proprietary SSDs. The only compatible replacement SSDs are made by OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

Assuming these conditions are met, the drive will work just fine. OS X formats drives as HFS+ (as opposed to NTFS for Windows, ext2/3/4 for Linux). Though I believe they've got a newer file format for SSDs. The installer or Disk Utility will handle this for you. Lack of TRIM was a problem on earlier OS X releases (Apple was slow to recognize the usefulness of SSDs), but you should be OK with High Sierra.

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015

thank you Solandri. My Macbook Pro is a late 2011, and the seller said there was a Samsung SSD in this laptop before. So I assumed an Intel SSD would work fine. I will give it a try. =)

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
So I popped the SSD in the MBP. I’m in disc utilities. Whenever I click on the SSD, it’s divided in two parts, disk0s1 and disk0s2 on Internal. I selected Mac OS Extended (Journaled) When I clicked on erase for either one it says: Erase process has failed...

Details: Unmounting Disk, Couldn’t modify partition map. Operation failed...

Status
Not open for further replies.