Google Assistant Will Soon Beat Alexa in One Big Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

Well, that gave me a good chuckle. And you’re right! Bixby isn’t a major player in the smart home race (or really any race) though.

pedroneil

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I used to swear by Tom's guide trusting you to do your research... you've always been able to change the Alexa wake word. https://www.howtogeek.com/249342/how-to-change-the-amazon-echos-wake-word/

billyjennings11

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Pedroneil beat me to it. Plus Homeseer and lots of other automation software had this capability years ago (not the same thing but hardly a game changer at this point)

jacksmith21006

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
To keep up with the Amazon Echo? We started with the Echo in late 2014 and now have several Google Homes. Google passed Amazon awhile ago.

The biggest difference is that fact the Echo requires rigid language or basically commands you have to memorize to get it to do things. Versus the Google Home for most things you can just say it however it pops up in your head.

pedroneil

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
well that's not in this article and now you've made me hate my alexa even more than yesterday. thanks for the summary

bobbruff

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018

If we're getting obscure AND talking about who dunnit first we've got to give Motorola the crown (for both) with Moto voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU4SVivjI-8

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

As it says in the article, you can change Alexa's wake word, but only between a few predetermined choices. This Google Assistant change would allow you to use whatever word you want.

pedroneil

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I don't think that its about "who done it first"
it's about the title of the article and suggesting that you get a Google thingy because you can change the wake word... or that the person didn't findd the term for what Amazon uses for ad wake word abs goes on to say that Googles overtaking amazon Alexa because you can change the wake word. the other guy highlighting that Google is cleverer at turning of my lounge light rather than say, I can't find kitchen lights when a can read kitchen lights in my Sunday home list... now that's worth using to say that Google's gadget is better than Alexa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS