Windows 10 start menu randomly stops working

nikolas8991

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Hello everybody,
sometimes, when I turn on my pc, when I turn on my pc the lockscreen background is blurry and after I log in the start menu doesn't work. I tried every tutorial I found on the internet, I even tried to reset my pc but the problem is still here. It doesn't appear every time I turn on the pc, and to fix it I simply have to reboot it. Do you have and idea about what can be my problem? I'm on Windows 10 professional edition. If you need them, I can tell my pc specs.
TY in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Solution
It sounds like a bug in Windows 10. If the problem persists and you've tried many tutorials and tricks (like using sfc /scannow command) I would maybe consider clean installation (and reformat) to wipe out any possible remnants of the old Windows 10 install. Reset doesn't clear everything but it has its uses. Ensure that your Windows 10 media you use to install comes from Microsoft only or you create it using an image ISO straight from Microsoft's site.

jr9

Estimable
- If you haven't run all Windows 10 updates, that would be a good thing to do first.

- Update any drivers that you can like graphics or chipset. They can be found on your manufacturer's website or on your motherboard maker's website.

nikolas8991

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Hi, thanks for your answer. I just downloaded a Windows 10 update (last time I checked is 2 days ago, it came out in these 2 days?). My motherboard's bios and my gpu drivers are already updated. If the problem shows again in the next days I'll write here. Eventually, do you have any other suggestions to solve the problem?

jr9

Estimable
It sounds like a bug in Windows 10. If the problem persists and you've tried many tutorials and tricks (like using sfc /scannow command) I would maybe consider clean installation (and reformat) to wipe out any possible remnants of the old Windows 10 install. Reset doesn't clear everything but it has its uses. Ensure that your Windows 10 media you use to install comes from Microsoft only or you create it using an image ISO straight from Microsoft's site.

Solution

nikolas8991

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

What do you mean by saying "Ensure that your Windows 10 media you use to install comes from Microsoft only or you create it using an image ISO straight from Microsoft's site."? You mean that I have to download Windows from MS site, right?

jr9

Estimable
option a) a created USB drive or DVD using the official ISO image downloaded from the Microsoft's web site.

option b) a bootable retail DVD or USB containing Windows (straight from Microsoft preferably) that you buy from the Microsoft store or retail.

If you are formatting don't forget to link your key to your MS account it makes life easier after you've installed if you decide to go nuclear to solve this issue.

cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018

Hey I know I'm late but I just wanted to remind you that after I built my first PC a few months ago, everything was running fine and did the sfc scannow thing and clean from command prompt to restarting windows explorer in task manager and rebooting the PC. I even backed up my stuff and did a fresh clean installed on Windows 10 from freshly brand new with nothing installed and transfer my Windows 10 license key. Installed a few programs and at the end of the day, my start menu does not work anymore. What in the actual fuq is going here. Windows 10 works fine on every other PC I've seen in person in my laptop, my office computer, at school, at work. But my personal desktop PC start menu fuqs up every time.