Fresh Win 10 install in new build - had to RMA mobo after

hirshberg

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Hello

I recently put together a build and installed windows 10 on the SSD but after that the mobo started to give me issue and I had it RMA'd. My question is what should I do about the SSD with windows on it? Will I be able to just plug it into the replacement mobo and boot into windows? I didn't install any drivers at all yet before I had it RMA'd and its the same model of mobo.

Samsung 850 EVO
ROG Crosshair VI Hero

Solution
You can also look at them in disk management without booting to them also. Boot the original OS that is on this other machine you are trying them on and see if they show up in that PC's BIOS settings or that PC's Windows Disk Management program. If they don't then indeed they both may be dead.

jr9

Estimable
Potential issues:

- If you used a UEFI based Windows 10 setup (recommended) the Windows 10 install on the SSD may refuse to start on a motherboard that is not the same model as the one you had. You will see this if it fails to boot the OS.

- If you activated your Windows 10 key on the SSD and didn't deactivate it when before you took the system apart you could have activation issues as Windows considers a PC to be the motherboard so new motherboard = new PC. If you linked your copy of Windows to your MS account this helps with this issues immensely.

If you get the same motherboard back as the one you had before the OS should load from the drive unless you enabled Bitlocker.

hirshberg

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

So I got the new motherboard in yesterday and no longer having issue getting into bios anymore but still the SSD and HDD do not show up in bios. Tried my old HDD from my other computer and it does show up in bios. So some how both my boot drives died after I know they were functioning at one point. I was able to install windows on the SSD about 2 weeks ago and I remember being able to feel the hard drive running but it doesn't anymore.

Going to set up another RMA to replace them both but will I be able to use the same Windows 10 version I bought? I did link it to my Microsoft account.

jr9

Estimable
It is highly unlikely both drives died. It sounds like a connection issue or possibly and issue with the cables. I would try the drives on another PC to verify they work or invest in a SATA to USB adapter before replacing them. While booted to Windows 10 from the M.2 drive I would also see if either disk shows up in Disk Management, it could be a BIOS bug or you could be looking in the wrong place.

hirshberg

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Well I know for sure its not a cable problem because my old HDD shows up in bios and my new ones don't when I use the same exact cables. My optical drive also shows up with those cables. Also my SSD is not an M.2 its a standard SATA 2.5" drive.

I cannot boot into Windows 10 that I installed on the SSD, it just takes me straight into bios when it's hooked up which indicates to me that it is dead. Will try the drives on another computer later when I get home.

jr9

Estimable
You can also look at them in disk management without booting to them also. Boot the original OS that is on this other machine you are trying them on and see if they show up in that PC's BIOS settings or that PC's Windows Disk Management program. If they don't then indeed they both may be dead.

Solution