Odd Question: Corner Desk vs Standard Desk

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
This is going to be non-tech related and probably the weirdest question you see today, but do you think that as a full size atx desktop user, it is better to have a standard, rectangular desk, or a small square desk as well as a rectangular desk to make a "corner" style of desk? I know, odd, but what do you think?

Depends on what you need, and your space.
I would say you should have at least one, whole section large enough to hold your monitor(s) and peripherals.
A L shaped desk would probably be better than just a loooonnnnggggg desk, but again, it depends how large you need.

I used a desk thats about 6" wide, beyond that I would probably have to start rolling around to reach everything.

I personally like a corner desk as it has a lot of real estate. I have a pair of 24" 16:9 monitors and a desktop computer in a tower like many of us do here. My computer is a giant SWTX tower but it sits next to the desk, so you could easily substitute an ATX or EATX tower that sits next to your computer desk.

There are 4 general sizes of desk.

1. The smallest is a student desk, like the ones you sat at as a student in school. You have a slightly rectangular desk about 18" deep by 24" wide. That's not good for more than a laptop.

2. The next size up is a secretary or writing desk. These measure about 18" deep by about 36" wide. I am currently using a 1930s era secretary desk at home as I have not gotten around to building anything larger. I am also a sucker for antique furniture and this one is a family heirloom and pretty. My monitors slightly overhang the edges and the typewriter tray is a bit narrow for my big old '87 Model M but it works OK enough for me to not have my desk project "jump the build queue" ahead of the other furniture my wife wants me to build. You'd be fine with this setup if you have one monitor or a pretty small room.

3. I had a full-sized kneehole desk at work at my last job, its top measured 6' wide by 2 1/2" deep. It would have been nicer to use at home than my old secretary desk but could still get a little congested. I had a mini-ATX desktop with two 22" monitors and it was decent enough but I sometimes still wanted more desk space.

4. Currently at work I have a cheap laminate-topped particleboard L-shaped corner desk and it is plenty of space. I have the same standard dual 22" monitor/mini-ATX desktop setup and there's plenty of room. It's just ugly as sin and I'd have to figure out how to make a pretty-looking one before actually wanting to make one. There are lots of elegant kneehole or partner desks out there (look at any of the Presidential desks such as the Resolute Desk, which is the standard against which fancy high-end desks are measured, period.) The corner desks I've seen are all cheap "madeinchina" garbage.

I probably will just make a corner add-on to my secretary desk as it would be elegant and add more space.

TRENDING THREADS