Dark Colors appear Pixelated

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
For some YouTube videos and on Netflix, the dark colors on my screen appear pixelated. I've noticed that this only happens when
a) The video was shot from a camera (cartoons and video games are fine, but live action is almost always pixelated)
b) The video or movie was published between a certain time frame. Some older and newer movies are fine.
I'm pretty sure that this is a software error, but just in case, my system specs are 7600K CPU, R9 290X GPU, and I am running Windows 10.
I have attached a screenshot of what this looks like.

5a0wsj.png

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
sometimes some vidoes are quickly encoded/in low bitrates where flat areas (dark areas of one color like your case) or fast action scenes appear pixelated. make sure your bitrates arent too low like 300kpbs and above is for good quality movies. 1500kbps++ is for 720p quality. 3000kbps for 1080p. anything lower than that will get you artifacts (or pixelations) or colors/images dont appear so bright and sharp.

if you do have average to high bitrates movies, you can check your player settings. here are some stuff you can do :
* set GPU/player color settings output color format to RGB. output dynamic range to limited/full. color depth to 32bit.
* buy a VA/IPS monitor with great color depth (at least 16.7M colors and 3000:1 contrast ratio)

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
Thank you, however I don't know how to change the bitrate and the color settings. I read something about pulling up a menu on Netflix, however, it doesn't seem to change anything, and it doesn't save my choice. (Sorry, I meant to send this as a reply)

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017

I tried looking at these sites and a few others, but nothing has worked. I changed my default Netflix movie quality to high as well, and I don't know how to check my bitrates except through internet connection, which seems to be fast enough to support high levels of bitrates.