What happens when you install 2 RAM sticks from different vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosssy

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hi. What's going to happen if I install 2 different ram sticks each one from a different vendor in the motherboard slots with the same color.

For example suppose that I have motherboard with four slots for ram. Two of them are blue two of them are black and I install these RAM different sticks in the blue color slots. Will anything happen? And if yes then generally what should I do when I have 2 different ram sticks?

bosssy

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

Well What will happen then if I get one ram stick and put it in a blue slot (if there are 4 ram slots, 2 blue and 2 black). Will it work? Or I should get 2 sticks?

Also what else should I watch for when choosing ram? I'm talking about compatibility here.

from 30 years in IT, here are the cliff notes why you should not mix them.

a) nothing special as they work together because they are oem product from a identical production line and repackaged for retail.
b) the slower CL will slow down the other ram stick to permit dual channel processing
c) they do not want to run in dual channel and will function fine but system utilizes them as 2x single channels ram sticks
d) they don't play nice and system doesn't not boot
e) they quarrel at times and will make your system lock up, blank your screen and make your sound got into a tiny loop sound crashing your game and/or your o/s and causing corruption of file as you rinse and repeat before admitting you truly should of bought a dual channel paired ram sticks .

any questions ?

now this said we are speaking about mixing on the same memory bank (ie A-00 and A-01) not A00/A01 and B00/B001
you can have different ram stick in each banks (i.e. 2 pairs in all 4 slots) as long as you match the pairs in each coloured slots
2x blue one ram pair stick and 2x black slots ram stick.

it would so much easier to answer your question if your gave us the make and model of your motherboard and existing ram stick you have

bosssy

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018

If you have 2 sticks of 1600MHz RAM in the blue slot and 2 sticks of 1333MHz RAM in the black slots will the motherboard automatically lower the higher two sticks to 1333MHz? Or the black slot buses will work with 1600MHz and the blue slot buses will work with 1333Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS