CPU not getting over 60°C (seems low)

Feb 1, 2018
Hello,

I just changed components in my computer.
I got new things like :

• - 1 motherboard MSI B250M PRO-VDH
    - 1 Intel Core i5-7400 3GHz Mo
    - 4x4Go DDR4 RAM (PC19200 - 2400 MHz)
    - 1 GTX1060 3Go
    - 1 Heatsink

All in all, this is an over average gaming computer.

But weirdly, I noticed that my CPU was never going over 60°C, yet I can quite remember the old one going hotter (80°C).

I have not overclocked my computer (should I?) but I was finding it quite weird for my CPU to stop at 60°C while telling me it is at 100% usage.

Is this normal?

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
You’d WANT to keep the temps down. If you have the proper cooling (case fans and cpu cooler) and the case allows for plenty of airflow, the temps should stay down by a bit. Getting too hot (80 degrees C +) can be a little dangerous as the cpu could overheat.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
60C is a good temp, lower the better. The only caveat here is that you need to make sure the system is lying to you. Are there other temperature sources that you can look at to corroborate that data point?

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
I think I know where antishill is getting at. Just to be sure, download HWmonitor, which is a good monitoring software that shows voltages, clocks, and temps of quite a few components. Once you can open the program, check not only the cpu temp, but maybe the gpu temp or the mobo temp...something like that... If they’re all relatively close, you’re good. If not, something’s going on...

What heatsink are you using? If you're using any type of dual fan cooler, your temps will be very very low because your not overclocking/don't have a very expensive CPU.

My 8 core Ryzen 1700X doesn't even hit 60C during extremely heavy usage and i have a Corsair H100i V2.

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility will show you the details of your cpu's performance including a stress test. You can also compare your rig with others like yours. It's quite a nice cpu tool.