Stuttering and minor tearing while looking around in games

myrvang

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I recently upgraded my pc and ever since i've been experincing some really bad stuttering/ choppy camra movment and tearing while looking around in AC: Origins and TW3. Both games run fine with around 70-100 fps on ultra, but whenever i move the camra in game the game just stutters and tears and it really hurts my eyes. I've already checked out my CPU and GPU temps and they are both fine CPU never surpasses 70 degrees celsius and the GPU is around 50-60.

Specs:
I7 7700k
Aus rog gtx 1070
ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, Socket-1151
4x8gb HyperX fury ddr4 @2666mhz
Corsair CX750M, 750W PSU
HyperX Savage 240gb ssd (both games are installed on this drive)
BenQ XL2411Z @144hz

Solution
So tearing happens when you are getting way more or way less FPS than your monitor supports. Seeing as how you have a 144Hz, you're getting way less. Stuttering can happen due to this as well, or more likely because you're getting a varied framerate that's moving all over the place, and you have no adaptive sync to help with this.

There's a couple ways to fix this...

Vsync.... obviously. You can also try using the other syncs in there (Nvidia Control Panel), I've had varying success in different games. So you're refresh rate is 144Hz, try using vsync half refresh rate for AC: Origins which should cut you back to 72fps, or around what you're getting supposedly.

Or you can lower your monitor's refresh rate to around what you're...

popatim

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from myrvang : "Stuttering and minor tearing while looking around in games"

gamertaboo

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
So tearing happens when you are getting way more or way less FPS than your monitor supports. Seeing as how you have a 144Hz, you're getting way less. Stuttering can happen due to this as well, or more likely because you're getting a varied framerate that's moving all over the place, and you have no adaptive sync to help with this.

There's a couple ways to fix this...

Vsync.... obviously. You can also try using the other syncs in there (Nvidia Control Panel), I've had varying success in different games. So you're refresh rate is 144Hz, try using vsync half refresh rate for AC: Origins which should cut you back to 72fps, or around what you're getting supposedly.

Or you can lower your monitor's refresh rate to around what you're getting in the game. So lock your monitor at 75Hz for example, and then use a program like Rivatuner to then lock your framerate at 75fps, and then play in borderless windowed mode so the game uses Windows' built-in double buffering.

I mean these would be how I used to handle it, but I have to say, ever since upgrading to a Gsync monitor it's absolutely never a problem anymore. I'll never go back to a regular monitor again. If you can swing it this would be the ultimate fix. After you get Gsync you can literally turn off your FPS counter and just enjoy every game from then on.

Anyway, good luck man. Hope it helps.

Solution