why when they made windows 10 they didn't write a new code but used the same 20 years old code ?

yafatana

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
why Microsoft don't write a new windows code instead of editing a 20 years old code over and over again and call it windows xb and then 7 and 8 and windows 10 ? why when they made windows 10 they didn't write a new code but used the same old code ? is it that hard for Microsoft to create a new windows code ?

Solution
According to who? XP is very different from Vista and above. 7, 8, and 10 are similar to each other, but there are still differences behind the scene. Considering how good 7 is, why tear down everything just to make a new OS? Your post comes across as "MS is lazy and didn't change much of the win10 code from previous editions". While that's true in some cases, in other cases it's far from the truth. The end result is it doesn't matter. Win10 is what's out right now, and as usual it's the best edition of windows that's ever been.

laserpower

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Why you don’t tear down your house and build a new one when you want to make your house better, instead of renovating it section by section? Is it that hard for you to demo your 20 year old house and build a brand new one?

4745454b

Titan
According to who? XP is very different from Vista and above. 7, 8, and 10 are similar to each other, but there are still differences behind the scene. Considering how good 7 is, why tear down everything just to make a new OS? Your post comes across as "MS is lazy and didn't change much of the win10 code from previous editions". While that's true in some cases, in other cases it's far from the truth. The end result is it doesn't matter. Win10 is what's out right now, and as usual it's the best edition of windows that's ever been.

Solution
and why should they create a new code when the past few versions have been stable? vista in the end turned out ok as well as 7, everyone hated windows 8 because people didn't like that much change but in the background it was a fast and stable OS. imagine how buggy windows would be if they decided to do what you want them to do and build every version from the ground up?

The internal combustion engine has been around for over a hundred years. Why not design a new type of engine for every year of car?

USAFRet

Titan

Some parts of it are new, some parts of it are old.
Problem?

And it's not "a windows code", but rather thousands of different subsystems.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

I've used all 3. My "main" computer is still Windows 7.
I LOVED XP
I just started using Windows 10

So far, I can't really say I find anything about Windows10 "better"
If all my programs and drivers still worked with WindowsXP and security updates were available I'd probably still be using it. But then, that's how they force you to "upgrade" :)

Are there any substantial benefits to W10 compared to the others outside of security issues?

4745454b

Titan
10 and 7 are based on the same code. More or less. They at least have a lot in common. XP would have very different code.

My main PC is 7, my laptop which I use mostly to just stream stuff in my bedroom is 10. I haven't used it for much more then just web and streaming so I'm not sure how much I like/hate it. For basic use it works fine.