Best PC Virtual Reality Headsets (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can find it on sale considerably cheaper, so on a shoestring budget it may be the best option.

But yeah the Odyssey is better, and since Tom's likes to stick by MSRPs, it should also be better with price considered.

Ionlydothis

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Give me a Rift with 2k per eye screens, touch controls and less cumbersome room tracking, for no more than $700, and I'd be quite happy. The Vive's controllers are ghastly compared to the slick touch controls that combine VR purpose with conventional controls perfectly. The accessories for the Vive are seriously overpriced and fairly worthless in a niche market further segmented with niche accessory implementation.

If the Odyssey had better tracking for when your hands aren't perfectly in view of the headset's cameras, it'd be a rather tempting compromise, but not having proper tracking really is a killer in good VR games.

After the Vive's successor being way overpriced and underwhelming in every way, particularly no announced controller redesign... I can simply wait longer and deal with my Rift until then. It's a shame, I was really hoping for the next Vive to hit it out of the park.

I think the idea is the Vive Pro isn't really a successor to the Vive, just an alternative for the high-end enthusiasts. They should have a more reasonably priced Vive 2 in development.

steveg

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I recently went to the Microsoft Store and tried several of these. They were pretty cool but my farsightedness prevented me from really seeing a crisp focused image in every example I tried. I hope some type fix for this is coming. I simply can't use them with the current focus issue.

Use glasses or contact lenses.

vrtechie

Prominent
Apr 2, 2018
Just to chime in on two important points, the IPD and controls.

I have a very wide head, and the oculus (my first VR purchase) doesnt support IPD greater than ~69mm. The Vive supports ~75mm which, at max, supports my wide head perfectly within a .5 mm or so. Due to the Oculus's IPD being off over 5mm, it was terribly blurry and almost unusable for long periods of time. I am VERY happy that HTC decided to go and support outliers like me.

for controls, I also want to mention....the oculus touch controllers are extremely well designed. Using the vive pads was very disorienting, coming from the touch. The Vive having only a touchpad (a very sensitive one) is just not good enough for fast paced VR experiences. I am kinda stuck with the vive controllers for now due to the above IPD issues....but hopefully someone will release Mixed reality controllers for the SteamVR platform that are more similar to the oculus touch.

On the other hand, the Oculus Rift supports smaller IPDs than the HTC Vive.

The Vive doesn't go lower than 60.8mm IPD. This is especially problematic for women, since 60.8mm is barely below the average IPD for women.

Status
Not open for further replies.