Can't reset Windows 10 (or do anything)

joshkjenner

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Have Windows 10 installed on a computer I built. It's been acting sketchy for a while (start menu wasn't working, couldn't update) but a recent update seems to have broken it.

What happens now if I start it up is that the login screen appears, but when I log in I just get a black screen with the mouse cursor. Ctrl-alt-delete brings up the usual screen, but the task manager won't launch.

I'm able to get to the troubleshooting screen by holding shift and then selecting restart after clicking the power button icon at the bottom right corner of the login screen. However, none of th available options work. They all do the same thing: after I select one (e.g. System Restore, UEFI Firmware Settings, etc.), the screen goes black, and then my computer turns on in the sense that it's light is on but the monitor is black and completely unresponsive to any inputs. The only way to get back to the login screen from here is to hold the power button to shut off the computer, and then turn it back on again.

The same thing happens when I try to boot into BIOS, which I attempted to do by shutting down while holding shift, and then restarting while holding F2.

I have everything backed up so not worried about losing files. I also have the Windows 10 Home USB stick and a valid serial. At this point I basically just want to reinstall windows (although were it possible to get back in to just sign out of some licenses that would be nice).

Any help would be very greatly apprecoated!!!

Solution
Try pressing F8 about once a second before Windows starts to boot. That should boot you up in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode doesn't help, change the BIOS./UEFI settings to Legacy boot, and reboot. You should be able to boot from the flash drive to reinstall Windows then.
Try pressing F8 about once a second before Windows starts to boot. That should boot you up in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode doesn't help, change the BIOS./UEFI settings to Legacy boot, and reboot. You should be able to boot from the flash drive to reinstall Windows then.

Solution