My chair won't stay still!

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
When I hop off of my swivel chair the seat keeps spinning/tilting to the left until the arm rest crashes into the desk. Why won't stay still like it used to? Has the chair/gas lift be bent maybe? No I don't think my floor has tilted...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I thought this might sound unusual but the chair is usable and looks totally normal. I can only guess that there is a slight bend somewhere causing the seat part to spin on it's own when un-seated. I will have a better look under there tomorrow. Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Strange indeed and interesting.

Center of gravity seeking the lowest point....

Slight bend makes sense. Look for anything that changes the balance of the chair or sticks out some to add torque.

Or a screw/bolt that fell out - check the "high side".

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

The gas lift on this chair is starting to fault by occasionally sinking but I'm not sure that's related. I have a replacement gas lift ready once it finally gives in. It does seem gravity related, it's like one side is heavier pulling it to the left. I need to have a good look under there and see if anything sticks out.:??:

stdragon

Admirable
When you sit down, the piston gets depressed a little while still under pressure. Once you get off it, as it rises back up (if ever so slightly), it must be turning in the process; something akin to a wear leveled rifling of the shaft.