HUH? Can't install my old apps in Windows 10 ?

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
First day looking at Windows 10.

First, I'm using the UN-Activated version to see how it goes (not that there's really a choice)

Anyway, right off the bat I tried to install my TurboCAD software and I get a message ...

For Security and Performance, this mode of Windows only runs verified apps from the Store

So is this the "gotcha"? I MUST activate to install my older apps?

Thanks

Solution

Go here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
"Create Windows 10 installation media"
Download tool now

Run that, and "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC"

And it indeed says "Windows 10"

When you boot from the USB you create, and start the install process, there is a long dropdown of 'which' version.

Are you running windows 10 s? That version has a lock that only allows you to use windows store apps all other versions don't have this.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Yep....10 S :(

So that means I need to activate it before I can install this software?

No you need a NON s version.
Windows 10 s is a LOCKED version. It can only use windows store apps. Any other program that you try to install that does not come from the windows store will not be allowed to launch.

Reinstall a NON S version of 10 on your pc and you will see that everything will work fine.

USAFRet

Titan

It seems you've installed Windows 10 S.
Which is completely limited to stuff from the MS Store. Activated or not.

You need a regular version of Windows.
Win 10 Home, for instance.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

OK,
And just for clarification......
The only way to do that is to BUY aka ( Activate) windows.....correct?

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

OK,
And just for clarification......
The only way to do that is to BUY aka ( Activate) windows.....correct?

No. You go and make a new bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and INSTALL windows 10 home 64 bit or any other version (home is the goto).
You do NOT need to buy windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan

You can install and run Win 10 Home, and leave it Unactivated.
There are certain small restrictions, but it runs just like the activated version.

No customization of the desktop or taskbar, and a randomly appearing nag text at the bottom right of the screen.

I have a long running test of a Win 10 Pro in a VM, unactivated from Day 1, just to see how long this lasts.
423 days so far, with zero issues.

But you NEED some version other than Win 10 S.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Ok,
When I go to Microsoft and use this tool, thre is no options for any version of Windows 10.
ONLY 10 S.

Is there a secret place to download the Windows 10 Pro version?

Maybe they have changed their policies since you downloaded and now only 10 S is available for download?

Nope lists all of the versions for me still. I just made a stick today to reinstall my laptop and had no issue installing pro on it. Your usb is 8gb right?

USAFRet

Titan

Download the actual MediaCreation tool.
Not just "Upgrade this PC"

The MediaCreation Tool is a small .exe.
You run that, to create a USB (or DVD) install.
You boot from that, and do a whole clean install on your system. Wiping out this current Win 10 S.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
The Creation tool I have has no options for any versions at all.

The drop down only has WINDOWS 10....nothing else...no Pro, No S, nothing. I'll try to post a screen shot since it's hard to believe.
Give me a few minutes.

I think they've updated the creation tool.

I need to find the Creation Tool you have.

Thats normal. Once you have a bootable usb you get to choose between ALL the versions of windows 10 during the install.

USAFRet

Titan

Go here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
"Create Windows 10 installation media"
Download tool now

Run that, and "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC"

And it indeed says "Windows 10"

When you boot from the USB you create, and start the install process, there is a long dropdown of 'which' version.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

DVD or USB should be NO difference.

Any particular reason you want Pro?
Later, when you DO decide to pay for it, Pro is much more expensive, for no performance gain.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Not really. I do like the advanced firewall options with the Pro version but that's about it.

Sedivy

Estimable
If this is one of those microsoft surface books, then you don't really have an option of installing anything else, and yet you're limited to windows store ie. it's a really crappy deal and it's a laptop not meant to be used for anything but most basic browsing and productivity. It's supposed to be their answer to chromebook.
I've run into this issue with their windows RT which was....lets just say an experience and I am careful now to always always check what crap microsoft's laptops are running before going anywhere near one. Windows S when I was looking at their lineup sounds exactly like RT just with a different letter :/

TRENDING THREADS