Booting problem after upgrading to a m.2 nvme ssd

isaacaltice

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
Hello everyone, recently I upgraded my primary drive from a 850 evo to 960 evo and it has caused some booting problems. I completely erased everything on the 850 and reformatted it and did a clean install of windows 10 on the 960 with the 850 not plugged in. The motherboard bios is up to date as well as all the drivers for all other major components. After plugging the 850 back in it takes around 30 seconds to 1 minute for it to boot or it wont come on at all. While it is booting the led lights of the case and the fans on the coolers come on but the other peripherals and the monitors wont come on until it starts to boot up. It will sometimes not boot at all and I will have to hold the power button down and turn it back on to try to get it to boot. It always works after one or two cycles of doing that but id like to know what is giving me this issue and how to fix it. The normal time to get to boot screen was less than 10 seconds and now it is at 30+ or it doesn't start booting at all. 850 is plugged in sata slot 1 and m.2 is plugged in the primary m.2 slot.
Motherboard: asrock ab350 pro4
processor: ryzen 1600
gpu: evga 1050ti ssc
primary drive: Samsung 960 evo 250 gb
secondary drive: Samsung 850 evo 250 gb
psu: seasonic m12II 520w
ram: corsair vengenace lpx ddr4 2400 2 x 8gb

Solution

isaacaltice

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

drive listed as drive c: primary.

quang.doan

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Have you tried going into your BIOS (continuously tapping on "Delete" button during start-up) and changing your boot priorities? The system has a list of devices that it starts up sequentially. For example, it might boot up your disk drive first, then move on to USB ports (if you have any USB peripherals plugged in), then your network card, and so forth until it reaches the drive with the OS. This is when your OS officially boots up and starts the whole Windows start-up process. So if you change your boot priorities and make the drive with the OS on it first in the list of priorities, it may change how your whole PC boots up.

A general rule of thumb is that computers are not built like humans (where humans can do things whenever and whatever they want); computers do things in an orderly fashion - sequentially.

I feel this video may help you and anyone with this problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

Hope I somewhat helped :)

isaacaltice

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Hey thanks for the reply and I went into the bios and the boot priority is set to the 960 evo with all other options disabled. Im still encountering the problems though. I noticed that the windows boot manager has the 850 evo selected though as an option. Is there a way to change which one the windows boot manager selects? I checked online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

waveriderj

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

I just changed a remote SSD to a 960 EVO M.2 and had similar issues. I re-installed windows several times before realizing that I needed to change the 960 EVO to a UEFI rather than Legacy setting in Bios. Legacy will cause problems. Needs to be UEFI.

After that, you will need to go into your registry and delete the 850 version of drivers, etc. I can't recall where I finally found that info, but it started in MSCONFIG. Eventaully I found my way into where it showed the new and old versions of Windows info (when I started up, it asked if I wanted to use Volume 2 or 8 to start and had to use V2 or it would re-boot). Delete the old version.
Sorry I don't have the remainder of info, but UEFI is where to start, also make sure the new drive is #1 in the boot menu.

Solution
Oct 25, 2018
hello guys, I'm having such a weird problem... I have a mobo Gigabyte z370 hd3 with an SSD m.2 kingston SA1000 240Gb where I had win 10 installed... everything worked fine for about 2 months, now one day... I get the error "reboot and select proper boot device" so, I check in the BIOS and the SSD is detected, it is #1 priority on boot settings, so I plug the win10 boot USB i used to install the OS and I can't fix boot, use restoration points, or any option that is not a fresh install... what can I do? I was searching for a Hirens software to try save all my data that was not in the HDD...

specs:
gigabyte z370 hd3
intel core i5 8400
1x8Gb RAM Crucial Ballistix
Kingston SA1000 240Gb SSD
Toshiba 2Tb HDD