Windows 10 and Windows 7 dual boot - no selection screen

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hello everyone. I had a machine with Win 10. I installed Win 7 and the first few times after the install I had the selection screen to choose between Win 7 and Win 10. I think it disappeared after I booted for the first time into Win 10. Now the PC starts in Win 10 directly without any selection screen on boot. Everything appears to be OK when I check, see here https://i.imgur.com/ApNwPG7.jpg however I cannot get the selection screen to appear.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I reinstalled Win 7 and checked - the selection screen disappears after I run Win 10 for the first time.

Solution
Hello, Beam

Try this method:

- Press Windows key + X
- Click Command Prompt (Admin)
- At the command prompt, enter the following command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

- Hit Enter on your keyboard
- Type: Exit

Restart and you should be offered a boot menu to choose which version of Windows you want to boot into.

Hi

not sure how to fix the boot menu problem

If the operating systems are installed in order Win 7 then Win 10 both should give you a choice of the other Windows

I found if you shut down Windows 10 it overwrites the Windows 7 boot menu
If you re start from Windows 10 it does not.

So to leave Windows 10 restart Win 10, select win 7 then shut down

regards
Mike Barnes

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks, I have exactly the same behavior. Upon restart from Win 10, I get the boot menu, but upon Win 10 shut down and start I get no boot menu. The problem is now that my GTX 1060 does not work when I restart the PC - black screen and no boot message (taking it off and relying on the integrated GPU in my i5 allows me to boot)

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
When you're doing a dual boot, if you install an older operating system after you install the new one, it may overwrite the newer one's boot files. If you're doing this, you should install windows 7 first and then install 10. If you have windows 10 installed and want 7 also, the way to do this without reinstalling 10 is to disconnect the windows 10 hard drive while you're installing 7. That way windows 7 won't mess with the windows 10 boot files.

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks, but I have only one drive on that PC. Anyway, it seems Win 7 does not mess with the boot menu, since after installing it the menu is there and it only disappears after i run Win 10 for the first time after that and only if I shut it down and then start, i.e. exactly as the first reply to my post.

xtcmax

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Hello, Beam

Try this method:

- Press Windows key + X
- Click Command Prompt (Admin)
- At the command prompt, enter the following command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

- Hit Enter on your keyboard
- Type: Exit

Restart and you should be offered a boot menu to choose which version of Windows you want to boot into.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS