Thinking about getting new 4kTV for pc gaming. Good/Bad idea?

jacobbones

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
So have a 1080 card on the way.

Rather than use a 1440 144hz monitor I was thinking of spending the money on a new 4k tv preferably a 65". As I enjoy gaming on my couch on a big screen more than the desk.
I understand that the monitor would give better Framerate and such.

But as a guy who console games a lot on his 55" 1080 seems like 4k at 60fps would be a huge improvement and I would game more on the pc if I can be comfortable.

Currently have a i7 3770K and 16gb ram im gonna test and if need be will upgrade to a new cpu i7 8700k and Mobo.

Thoughts? Will I get 4k 60fps with medium + settings? Like I said im used to consoles so anything better than that is good to me. Don't need to be Super ultra on settings

Solution
yep i use a 65" sony tv 4k tv, which actually is capable of 1080p 120hz also - so its a good combo for 4k immersion or some shooter action. i switch between using wireless keyboard/mouse and a ps3 controller (depending on the game).

i run 1080s in sli which has everything over 60fps in 4k, but before i got the second 1080, i did use one for a while. you will need to play with settings, turning AA off and shadows to med you should be pretty ok for high settings on everything else.
I game primarily on a 60inch TV (albeit a 1080p set) & am happy enough for console style title's (meaning no strategy/simulation stuff )playablw with a MS controller.

4k with a 1080 though at 60fps??
Fairly big ask on newer titles, you can always play stuff at 1080p still at the end of the day evennkn a 4k screen.

Get your 1080 inatalled , setup a 4k (4x) dsr resolution which will give you a selectable downscaled 4k res option in games.

Give it a tryout first on your current screen.

You cpu and ram don't need upgrading. A 1080Ti would have been better for 4k but at medium settings the 1080 will do well. If you do go with a TV and for your needs it makes sense then research the input lag of the TV. Its never normally given in the spec but very important for gaming so you will need to lookup independent reviews. Ideally 30ms or less but 40ms is acceptable.

Its plausible,Ive had a gaming pc under the tv for over 4 years,along with 4 consoles.
Still running a 970 in there & its still preferential quality wise to an xbox one & obviously you get the option of playing pc only titles.

jacobbones

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
doing quick look around probly go for a 65" Samsung MU8000 series as seems to hae lowest input lags in price range.

When I think about it Id much rather game in the living room than here on my pc desk.

Other option is to do some kind of vesa mount with a 27" 1440 144hz monitor in the living room so I could play on couch or chair instead of at desk. A 27" close would probly be same effect as a 65" 10 feet away

Toppingpfc

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I use a TCL 43 inch and it has basically no input lag. The samsung should be good as its much higher quality than the TCL I have and Ive heard good things about that series in terms of gaming

rustigsmed

Distinguished
yep i use a 65" sony tv 4k tv, which actually is capable of 1080p 120hz also - so its a good combo for 4k immersion or some shooter action. i switch between using wireless keyboard/mouse and a ps3 controller (depending on the game).

i run 1080s in sli which has everything over 60fps in 4k, but before i got the second 1080, i did use one for a while. you will need to play with settings, turning AA off and shadows to med you should be pretty ok for high settings on everything else.

Solution