spectre and meltdown/software or hardware

winterjasonm001

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I can't seem to understand the news lately. Will these vulnerabilities be fixed software/patch wise or will I need to update my hardware later this year, like CPU or motherboard?

Solution
So far what we know is that all the software level fixes they are trying to put out are creating stability issues. Trying to fix a hardware level bug with software patches is just putting a bandaid on it. I have heard that intel is planning to change some things on the silicon of there chips when they print them to get rid of this exploit. But those changes won’t be made till late this year. This is a hardware level issue that affects all processors going back 10-15 years. So yes you will have to buy a new processor in the upcoming year to get rid of the exploit on your machine.

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
So far what we know is that all the software level fixes they are trying to put out are creating stability issues. Trying to fix a hardware level bug with software patches is just putting a bandaid on it. I have heard that intel is planning to change some things on the silicon of there chips when they print them to get rid of this exploit. But those changes won’t be made till late this year. This is a hardware level issue that affects all processors going back 10-15 years. So yes you will have to buy a new processor in the upcoming year to get rid of the exploit on your machine.

Solution