Why are there so many Spam messages lately?

mwryder55

Distinguished
I have noticed a large number of spam messages in the forums lately. Why aren't they auto-killed? They all have the same text in the header and so should be easy to filter out.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I noticed the same. Technically, after a week or two of noticing these, they aren’t all the same exact header. If it’s one person, toms hardware could try to track the IP address and ban it (although very unlikely, if not, impossible). But the scammers can just keep making new accounts.

D

Deleted member 217926

We're getting them as fast as we can. If you see spam let us know with the report button. :)

Sometimes we get slammed like this and it can take some time for the developers to fix it.

D

Deleted member 217926

Should be easy, yes. Tom's uses a proprietary forum software held together with unicorn tears and fairy dust. The easier something should be the harder it is in reality. :lol:

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

We've noticed a recent increase in spam these past couple of days. We are looking into upgrading our spam blocker. While we wait for that new moderators should help fill in the gaps :) Heralds will likely get notified of this moderation search in the coming days.

In the mean time please hit the "report" button under the user avatar whenever you suspect spam.

mwryder55

Distinguished

I never open obvious spam messages as I don't know if they also contain some type of malware. At work I am responsible for computer security and I always tell the users to not open any unexpected messages. I don't know if your software has any malware filtering so I don't open the messages to report them as spam.

I wonder what Tom does to the Unicorns that makes them cry. Report button is useless. Need to find the ASPCA and tell them what Tom's is doing.

USAFRet

Titan

The Report button absolutely works.
We see those alerts and act on them.
But we can't be everywhere at once.

I was simply responding in kind to anort3. The report button is useless when trying to report someone for making unicorns cry...

USAFRet

Titan